We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Bayeux
Search

Guided tours of Mont St. Michel from Bayeux

Northern Nevada
3 posts
Guided tours of Mont St. Michel from Bayeux
Save

I'm not looking for a personal guided tour but a group tour of Mont St. Michel which should be more reasonably priced.

Thanks, Ken Coleman

Nevada

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
2 reviews
50 helpful votes
1. Re: Guided tours of Mont St. Michel from Bayeux
Save

You don't need a guided tour to take you to Mont St. Michel. All you need is a halfway decent guidebook and a map if you have a car or a train timetable if you don't. It's a perfectly simple trip to organize on your own.

Northern Nevada
3 posts
2. Re: Guided tours of Mont St. Michel from Bayeux
Save

Thanks for the tip on using the train. We won't have a car but the train might work well. Is it much of a walking distance from the train station to Mont St. Michel?

Ken

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
22 helpful votes
3. Re: Guided tours of Mont St. Michel from Bayeux
Save

The nearest train station is Pontorson, which is 9km from Mont St.Michel. French railways have a website at www.sncf.fr - I did a quick check and it's about 2 hours from Bayeux to Pontorson station. Why not check with your hotel in bayeux whether there are any bus services to the Mount from Bayeux? Or with Mont saint.michel tourist office? - http://www.ot-montsaintmichel.com/accueil.htm Once there, you won't need a guide, there are audio guides in the monastery.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
2 reviews
50 helpful votes
4. Re: Guided tours of Mont St. Michel from Bayeux
Save

There is a regular and routine shuttle bus service from Pontorson to the MStM. It is timed to coincide with the arrival of the trains. I could be wrong but I don't think there is any bus service from Bayeux or Caen to MStM. Long distance buses are really not a French phenomenon...

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
26 reviews
16 helpful votes
5. Re: Guided tours of Mont St. Michel from Bayeux
Save

With out a car the best way from Bayeux to MSM is the Churchill shuttle. I beleive it's 55 €. It'll take you tyo the mount leave you time to visit and bring you back.

At MSM there's the town and battlements where you'll have no guide buit in the Abbey there are guided visits every so often. Id recomend the human guided visit if there is one available, there are audio guides, but I went round with one recently to see what it said, and was rather dissapointed.

A train from Bayeux to Pontorson is possible but I'm sure it will be an obstacle course.

If you can drive a car will double your enjoyment of Normandy.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
2 reviews
50 helpful votes
6. Re: Guided tours of Mont St. Michel from Bayeux
Save

THere are a FEW direct trains from Bayeux to Pontorson daily. The journey takes about 1.75 hours and the fare should be around €40 round=trip. It takes about 1.5 hours to drive all the way. Whether any of the trains will actually work in terms of the day and time you want to travel I know not. I seem to recall that some of the trains only run two or three days out of the week. I do know others who have done it however.

You can research fares and timetables at voyages=sncf.com if you're interested. When looking for info the actual name of the station is Pontorson Mont Saint Michel. SNCF can be a bit unforgiving about incomplete names or mis-spellings.

if the €55 for the Churchill shuttle is both ways I'd definitely go with that, but I'm guessing it's a one way fare. It just seems to good a bargain for what amounts to a 300 km taxi ride if it's both ways.

Israel
Level Contributor
5,363 posts
96 reviews
48 helpful votes
7. Re: Guided tours of Mont St. Michel from Bayeux
Save

Irish - It's a round-trip fare. (We stayed at the Churchill in June, though we didn't take advantage of the shuttle since we had a car.)

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,727 posts
26 reviews
16 helpful votes
8. Re: Guided tours of Mont St. Michel from Bayeux
Save

The rail site is voyages-sncf.com no "equal" sign.

The Churchill shuttle is a minibus for 8 passengers so if the bus is full it's no give away. Contact the hotel to see if it will be running when you are there and the conditions. i believe it leaves at 9 and gets back at 3pm.

Northern Nevada
3 posts
9. Re: Guided tours of Mont St. Michel from Bayeux
Save

Thanks to all for your information and suggestions regrding our visit to MSM from Bayeux. We are staying at the Churchill Hotel and have already inquired about their shuttle to MSM and back and it is 50 EU for guests. Sounds like the best deal based on your feedback. We'll probably take that since we do not have a rental car.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
2 reviews
50 helpful votes
10. Re: Guided tours of Mont St. Michel from Bayeux
Save

>>>The Churchill shuttle is a minibus for 8 passengers so if the bus is full it's no give away.<<<

Still a bargain compared to the price of most airprt shuttles!

And apologies for my typing. My right little finger sometimes doesn't do what it is told. <sigh>

Get answers to your questions about Bayeux