We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detailed auto route maps

Virginia Beach, Va
1 post
Save Topic
Detailed auto route maps

I must confess, that the auto route maps received from my local AAA does not do the job when attempting to route a trip say" "From Metz to Bayeux" France without entering the large cities.

Is there a web site that permits downloading of greater detailed maps for this purpose. I see no reason in paying over $E30.00 for a map that will be used at the most one time.

Thank you

David C. Harris

Paris, France
Level Contributor
804 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Detailed auto route maps

OldSoldier,

There is two web sites that will give you some interesting infos and maps but be aware that they will be as convenient and clear as your screen allow a large display or not.

Anyway, you should try first the Michelin site : http://www.via-michelin.com

Michelin (a tyre manufacturer) is also the best map maker in France. Their site is very accurate and allow you to select various options to plan your route. There is an english version of the site. The maps issued on the screen are very clear and usefull.

Less convenient on my point of view, there is also Mappy www.mappy.com which as some similar functions, but I think that their maps are less convenient, less detailed than Michelin.

Finally, you should consider the French geographic institute (IGN) that sells "offical" maps. Unfortunatly they don't have an english version (i wonder why, that's pretty stupid). Their site is at http://www.ign.fr/

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Detailed auto route maps

I, too, was disappointed in the AAA maps. I found a detailed map of Normandy by Michelin for 6.95 USD at Barnes and Noble. I expect they have maps that cover Metz, too.

We're visiting Normandy and Sankt-Vith in March 2005 to pay our respects.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Detailed auto route maps

Try Mappy.com for detailed maps.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Detailed auto route maps

I made a one week self driving tour from Amsterdam to Omaha Beach and back. I used the Michelin maps and directions downloaded from their web site. I also bought two maps of France from the bookstore before I left the US. I found the Michelin web information to be a little confusing and relied more on the published maps. I used them for everything from the "A" highways down to secondary roads. The Michelin directions did not seem to match up well with the signs on the highway and I made several wrong exits trying to use them.

Level Contributor
28 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Detailed auto route maps

Try www.mappi.fr available in English

Regards

John G