We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel's/ B&B's in Bayeux close to Omaha Beach war Cemetary

england...
1 post
Save Topic
Hotel's/ B&B's in Bayeux close to Omaha Beach war Cemetary

Ever since i first watched the fil 'saving private ryan' I've been captivated by the Omaha cemetary and have always wanted to go there and pay my respects, I am only 14, and although my parents would allow me to go I do not know how to find out the detail's etc. I really dont know where to start or what would be best, could someone please give me advice?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,314 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel's/ B&B's in Bayeux close to Omaha Beach war Cemetary

Bless your heart for wanting to see the D-day Beaches. We are Americans who speak no French and went a few years ago and had a memorable time! I have to try to find the B&B in Bayeux where we stayed and I will post again! We thought we might have to take guided tour,because we don't speak French, but everything was so clearly marked tyhat we just followed the seagull gigns and saw everything- and got to spend as much time as we wanted in each place.

We went to all the beaches and lots of little museums, as well as the American Cemetary, but what I remember most profoundly was the German Cemetary( you will see the sign on the Road) where the graves were being lovinglytended by young German soldiers and their is also a peace memorial- everyone should spend a few minutes there. Once I remember the name of the very reasonable B&B I will repost. I am sure you can take a ferry and then public transportation to Bayeux ( we flew to Paris and rented a car) I hope ypu get to go- you sound like a wonderful young man! ( Irecently retired from teaching 13 yr olds and I will say to your parents- if you possibly can- let your son have this opportunity!

VER SUR MER...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel's/ B&B's in Bayeux close to Omaha Beach war Cemetary

I'm the owner of a charming Bed and Breakfast called Le Mas Normand in Ver sur mer, a small village located on the Landing beaches (Gold beach which was the Bristish Bridgeahead in June 1944), it would be a pleasure for me to give you further information especially concerning guided tours, and exploration...

Would you please consult our website : http://www.lemasnormand.com

and don't hesitate to contact me by mail.... i will get in touch soon

Myl������ne

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel's/ B&B's in Bayeux close to Omaha Beach war Cemetary

La Ducrie, who has reviews listed on this site, is a great B&B. The owner, for a fee, will take you on a personal tour of the D Day beaches. If requested, they may even pick you up at the ferry in Cherbourg.

UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel's/ B&B's in Bayeux close to Omaha Beach war Cemetary

Finius

My wife and I are able to help you achive your hearts desire and would be happy to do so. Email us on B&B@La-Ducrie and we'll look after you. Bring a parent and yourself and we'll happily give you both two nights accommodation free of charge. You can see our web site at www.La-Ducrie.com so you'll know who and where we are. Also see the reports on http://www.tripadvisor.com/ for more help.

We'll take you on a beaches tour and take you to the US Cemetery at Coleville sur Mer where the start and end of Saving Privayte Ryan was filmed. You will not be charged for the tour or your accommodation, that is my promise. You will however have to get yourselves to France (I can pick you up at Cherbourg and drop you back there when your little break is finished.

Regards Joe & Vivienne Helling

columbia missouri...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel's/ B&B's in Bayeux close to Omaha Beach war Cemetary

Hello young man,

you may have gone to Normandy already, as it happens I was there in april 2004 and most enjoyed the american and german cemetaries. I am a former american paratrooper and enjoyed staying in Bayeux. although i am not a "tour" person, I used battlebus tours as I had very little time(2-3 days) and they did an excellent job for me, even modifing the tour to accommate my "airborne" interests. if you can, stay in peoples homes (what we call bed and breakfast) they can give you an insight to the local area. best of luck

martinjdm2@aol.com