We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car return

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car return

Does anyone know if it is possible to return a rental car in Bayeux on a Sunday? We will be arriving in Bayeux 11 Jun 2009 and returning to Paris on 14 Jun 2009 but it appears that the car rental places are all closed on Sundays. Would it be better to return on the 10th and just not have a car for the last day? We probably won't be doing too much on that day anyway. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,274 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car return

I have checked the web sites of Europcar, Hertz, and Avis. None of them list a depot or agency in Bayeux. Who were you thinking of renting from?

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car return

I have heard from this forum that there is a Hertz and a Renault rental place in Bayeux but have not actually tried to reserve a car yet since I haven't decided when to return it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,274 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car return

To the best of my knowledge, Renault is not in the car rental business, although it does do leases for longer hires. The Hertz web site does not list an agency in Bayeux. I think you may need to change your plans.

There are rental agencies in Caen, which is not far away. However, the Europcar depot is normally closed on Sundays and there would be an extra charge for return then.

Check out location of depots at these sites:

www.europcar.fr

www.hertz.fr

www.avis.fr

Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car return

My understanding is that the Hertz rental location is the Total gas station and is open on Sundays. I was only able to find Hertz as a car rental company in Bayeux. We love Hertz, but the rental charges were quite high when we were doing our booking.

We chose to pick up our car in Caen because there were more rental options and the pick up/drop off points are right outside the train station. This was recommended by several posters on this forum, and the train side is about 15-20 minutes.

Do a rental car search on Kayak.com (it searches most agencies), and specify a Sunday return. If the offices aren't open, the option should not come up. Before booking, I would verify from the rental companies' individual sites that a Sunday return is possible.

If you are staying in the village of Bayeux, you really may not need a car on the last day. Everything is within walking distance of the hotels around the village center.

Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car return

We couldn't find a rental agency open on a Sunday either so we chose to train to Paris from Caen on a Saturday. We used Caen as a pickup and dropoff point because there are several rental agencies right at the rail station there. We plan to drive to Caen from our nearby B&B on Saturday morning. Bayeux is 19 miles from Caen, an easy drive. Trains to Paris run about every hour if I remember correctly and the agencies open at 8AM-Noon, then 1400-1800 I think.

oprah44

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car return

I can't speak for whether they're open on Sundays, but there's definitely a Hertz at the Total Station in Bayeux, in the outskirts of town.

There is also a Renault Scauto in Bayeux right near the train station. You won't be able to book in advance with them, though, unless you can navigate their website which is entirely in French only.

Also, check back on Hertz from time to time. The rate I saw on-line one day, was $20 cheaper the very next day.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car return

I just completed a reservation through Hertz for a car rental out of Bayeux. My confirmation shows that the Total Station is open Monday through Sunday. You should give Hertz a call to be sure, but it looks like they're open on Sundays.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car return

The Hertz garage is 2 miles from the Station. Will they pick you up. If not you'll have to take a taxi.

Renault rent site is

http://www.renault-rent.com/

The garage is 200yds from the station.

9. Re: Rental car return

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, September 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bayeux