We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Amsterdam to Bayeax

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Amsterdam to Bayeax

We are planning to visit the Normandy Beaches in August and will be coming from Amsterdam. Can anyone suggest a transportation route?.....Does a train run in close proximity to the area?

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Amsterdam to Bayeax

Youan a train from Paris to Bayeux and you could do a D-Day tour with one of the companies in Bayeux, so you could do it all with public transport but I think you should book the tour in advance if you're coming in August.

Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Amsterdam to Bayeax

My wife & I just took the train from Paris to Bayeax. It makes two stops and takes just about two hours. It is a most pleasant trip. I would definitely stay in Bayeax instead of Caen. A previous posting is correct, if you wish to take a tour of the D-Day beach sites and airborne drop zone sites, book the tour early. We took a tour with Overlord Tours and were most impressed. We took their #3 tour which covered the American sector and several sites from the "Band of Brothers". We also rented a car for a day and explored some of the more famous sites in the British zone and re-visited some things in the American zone. One travel tip that really helped us was to have a small compass hanging from my camera case.

3. Re: Traveling from Amsterdam to Bayeax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 05, 2009