We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Normandy and Mont-St-Michel

Yorba Linda...
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Normandy and Mont-St-Michel

Our group of six will be traveling from Paris to Bayeux in June of 2014 by car. We had planned to leave Paris very early in the morning and enjoy the Bayeux area and then take a tour the next day of the D-Day Beaches. We are now considering adding another day and visiting Mont-St-Michel.

If we stay the extra day, should we use Bayeux as our base or travel to Mont-St-Michel and spend our last night there. If so where should we stay. Most of the hotel listing have poor ratings.

Thank you for he help.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Normandy and Mont-St-Michel

Yes, if you have the time, the addition of MSM is something you will not regret.

I would definitely spend the night in the vicinity of MSM rather than day-trip from Bayeux.

We spent the night at a B&B 5 min drive from the Mont, which worked out well for us and was much less expensive than staying on the Mont. Others on this forum highly recommend staying actually on the Mont and will jump in with personal experience.

The Mont is spectacular in the evening when the crowds have left and you can wander around practically by yourself. What we found worked well for us was to get to the B&B in the late afternoon, go to the Mont in the evening, then return in the morning before the Abbey opened to be some of the first in, again before it got too crowded. We were ready to leave around noon and it was getting claustrophobic by then.

Edited: 4:48 pm, November 17, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,268 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Normandy and Mont-St-Michel

We day tripped from Bayeux to MSM, and that worked out well for us. It was not all that crowded although it was in May, not June. A couple of hours was enough; we went on to Cancale and St. Malo and then back to Bayeux before evening. If you take the autoroute from Bayeux, it's only about 1.5 hrs. away. I think the view of MSM from the distance and gradually getting closer is actually more interesting than walking around the place.

Yorba Linda...
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Normandy and Mont-St-Michel

Thank you for the help. What b&b did you stay at?

Thanks again.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Normandy and Mont-St-Michel

It is called Maison du Montitier. We enjoyed it very much and would highly recommend it. There are only two bedrooms, not sure of the configuration of your group and if it would work for you, but there are plenty of B&Bs in the area if this one doesn't suit.

http://www.gitedumontitier.co.uk/Home.html

You can contact the owners (who live on site) at the email listed there.

Lots of reviews here:

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g196646…

If you click on my screen name, you can find my exact review.

Also, a helpful TA member, owns a B&B in the area (I did not know this when I was searching):

www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/Thiaumerie

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g660467-d595935…

I believe another TA member, Janettravels, also stayed in a B&B while visiting MSM - I don't know which one but you could send her a PM through her screen name: tripadvisor.com/members-forums/Janettravels4…

Yorba Linda...
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Normandy and Mont-St-Michel

Thank you. You all have been very helpful

Santa Rosa...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Normandy and Mont-St-Michel

Yes spend an extra day and stay at on Mont-St-Michel. The experience of staying there at night is a treasure in it's own. All the crowds have gone home and you have the island to your self and a few other guests staying the night.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,089 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Normandy and Mont-St-Michel

the most beautiful sight of Mont SM is at night. I'd stay one night. We stayed at a crappy B&B nearby in order to see the view from a distance at night. If I had it to do over I would stay on the Mont I think. We had dinner at a hotel near the Abbey one evening; it was not the best meal ever but it was perfectly fine and perfectly reasonably priced. I suspect the less well reviewed hotels are the same -- everything doesn't have to be wonderful so long as it is serviceable.

8. Re: Normandy and Mont-St-Michel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 15, 2014