We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rooms over the D-Day period for the 70th anniversary

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Rooms over the D-Day period for the 70th anniversary

A lot of people are beginning to ask about hotel rooms for the 70th anniversary and already the lack of availability.

The sad fact of the matter seems to be that travel agents are trying to block book all rooms at this stage. Over the last 2 months or so I have been inundated with requests from travel agents in the US and Australia asking for all of my rooms for the 4th to the 7th. I presume they will just sell them on at a profit to themselves. I have refused all such bookings. Firstly, why should they sell my rooms on at a profit and secondly, if guests come to me having paid 20 euros a night over the odds, their expectation is possibly going to lead to disappointment. I'm not happy, the guest isn't happy, the only winner is the TA who is earning money for doing nothing.

If at all possible search for yourself, even if it takes a little longer. There are still plenty of rooms available - if a little further inland from the beaches driving in France is easy and even at that busy time there won't be any traffic until you are right on top of the beaches. Travel agents are trying to make a pretty penny out of this occasion. Many B&Bs also offer discounts to veterans, which I'm sure these travel agents won't be offering.

Strangely I've had no approaches from UK agents, presumably the US and Australian ones are trying to cash in on the fear of people travelling further from home. The internet makes the world a much smaller place. Use it and this site and don't get ripped off!!!

Edited: 7:21 am, August 28, 2013
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,997 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rooms over the D-Day period for the 70th anniversary

Perhaps the travel agents are simply trying to organise accommodation for tour groups?

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rooms over the D-Day period for the 70th anniversary

No, I've dealt with travel agents in the past and if they have people they are looking for accommodation for they give you more detail and ask questions about the accommodation to make sure it suits their clients. When they're just block booking they don't ask anything about the accommodation at all, just that they will take all your available accommodation.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,880 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rooms over the D-Day period for the 70th anniversary

Nice subtle advert! Hope it works for you.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rooms over the D-Day period for the 70th anniversary

No advertising Pam - I'm already full for that period. I have plenty of excellent reviews on TA but have never gained a single booking from these forums. I've never advertised in 7 years of TA and don't intend to start now; just trying to reassure TA travellers that they don't need to get ripped off to get a room but some people don't seem happy with that.

Edited: 2:25 am, August 29, 2013
5. Re: Rooms over the D-Day period for the 70th anniversary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:06 am, February 02, 2014
St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rooms over the D-Day period for the 70th anniversary

This is not the forum on which to place a free ad for your gite Debbie - it contravenes TAs guidelines for forum use.

7. Re: Rooms over the D-Day period for the 70th anniversary

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:43 pm, February 02, 2014
8. Re: Rooms over the D-Day period for the 70th anniversary

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, May 10, 2014
9. Re: Rooms over the D-Day period for the 70th anniversary

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 12, 2015