We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a WW II/D-Day Museum that is considered a MUST see?

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
229 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a WW II/D-Day Museum that is considered a MUST see?

Hello,

I am trying to determine if we should visit a WW II-based museum as part of a three-night visit to Normandy next June. As part of our trip, we will take a day-long tour of the American beaches and surrounding outdoor sights with a private tour guide. Is there a recommended museum that is viewed as a good compliment to such a tour that we should visit the following day? Would a trip to one of the D-Day museums scattered throughout the area be worthwhile or redundant? Is any one of those museums considered better than the others? I am also considering the Memorial in Caen. While I understand that the Memorial is dedicated more to WW II generally than events in Normandy, I also note that its web site mentions "new museum space" dedicated to D-Day and Normandy (though I can't tell how "new" it is). My initial thought is that a visit to the Memorial the day before our private tour of the beaches might provide good perspective for events in Normandy. But I do not want to visit more than 1 war-related museum in Normandy. Is some other museum considered a can't miss? Any suggestions are most appreciated. Once I put together an itinerary, I look forward to getting your feedback. Many thanks.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a WW II/D-Day Museum that is considered a MUST see?

It's true that the Mémorial isn't exclusively a D-Day museum, but it is simply sensational. Apart from that, I always visit the museum in Arromanches.

Gouvix, France
Level Contributor
542 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a WW II/D-Day Museum that is considered a MUST see?

In my view, the Caen museum is a 'must see' if you are really interested in the history of the war. It put the events in Normandy in context, and is one of the best organised and displayed of any museum you could see. The small museum on the front at Arromanches is also a 'must see' - it is only small but sets out the massive achievement of building the harbour very well. Whilst there the 360 nearby is also a 'must see' - there is new material there this year which I have not yet seen, but it gives the best sense of what it must have been like to be in the thick of it in 1944.

So there it is, 3 'must sees', not just one, and I have spoiled all your planning ...

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
229 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a WW II/D-Day Museum that is considered a MUST see?

Ha, thanks. I guess three "must sees" are better than none. : )

But I will still likely pick one. I'll be traveling with two teens and, after the number of museums they'll probably be touring in Paris, I can likely reasonably hope to get only one war-related museum in Normandy.

Thx again.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a WW II/D-Day Museum that is considered a MUST see?

Don't be so sure. The first time I visited the Mémorial, my kids were in middle school, and we spent 4 hours in there without so much as a peep out of either of them - no one had to go to the bathroom, no one was tired or bored, no one needed a snack...nothing. They were spellbound.

Do what you like, but just saying... My kids always liked museums, though, so might not work for yours.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,469 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a WW II/D-Day Museum that is considered a MUST see?

D-Day specific, then the little Museum at Arromanches and the 360' Cinema are both greatmand can be apprecieted in "little" time.

Caen Memorial museum is good for otherreasons. I have not been to other museums, but seems that a consensus is forming....

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a WW II/D-Day Museum that is considered a MUST see?

EW is right, the 360 in Arromanches is great and the film only lasts 18 minutes. Because it is a 360 degree film, without a narrative it is something so different the kids will definitely enjoy it.

In our opinion (especially as you are American) the 101st Airborne museum at St Mere Eglise is the best US museum and a definite must see. The museum at Pegasus Bridge is, in effect, the British equivalent and another must-see! Sorry for all the must-sees!!!

You could easily do the 360 AND another without boring your kids.

7. Re: Is there a WW II/D-Day Museum that is considered a MUST see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 05, 2014