We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Normandy to Saint Charles de Percy Cemetery

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Travelling from Normandy to Saint Charles de Percy Cemetery

I want to take my nan to visit some WW2 memorial sites in France and we will be travelling from London to Paris via the Eurostar.

We have just found out her brother that was killed in the war is buried at Saint Charles de Percy War Cemetery but cant seem to find any trains or coaches that travel there.

We also want to travel to see Omaha Beach in Normandy.

Can anyone recommend how to get to both these places without having to rent a car (if possible).

Thanks in advance

Special Offer
Normandy D-Day Battlefields and...
1,779 reviews
from $182.65*
$220.10
Small-Group Normandy D-Day Beaches...
48 reviews
from $264.10*
Special Offer
Versailles and Giverny Day Trip
1,449 reviews
from $210.20*
$250.20
Special Offer
2-Day Normandy, Saint Malo and Mont...
117 reviews
from $451.60*
$501.70
Gouvix, France
Level Contributor
548 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Normandy to Saint Charles de Percy Cemetery

Without a car this is going to be a struggle. If you are in Paris I'd recommend a train to Caen where you can hire a car right by the train station. If you restrict yourself to Omaha Beach, you can do this with a guided tour from Bayeux. A private tour could perhaps also take you to St Charles as well.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Normandy to Saint Charles de Percy Cemetery

The only ways to get to Saint Charles de Percy are car rental, taxi or private guide.

A bus goes to St Charles but from Caen and it's a school bus.

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
557 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Normandy to Saint Charles de Percy Cemetery

I dont know whether it would be any good but if you cant get to the cemetery, we have our French holiday home in St Charles de Percy, around half a mile from the cemetery, and if you wanted me to, when we next go to our house at Easter, I could take some photographs of his grave and the cemetery and then email them to you.The cemetery is beautifully kept and there is a list there of the graves so if we knew his name we could locate the grave.

Message me if you are at all interested.

Swindon, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Normandy to Saint Charles de Percy Cemetery

Hi Jess,

My Father , myself and friends attend the ceremony on 6th June every year at St Charles. As others have mentioned, this area is poorly served by public transport. A kind gesture by the Lady from Essex re: photo....I will do the same if you require. Out of curiosity, what regiment was your relative in?....Gurads/11th Armoured division?My Father served in The Scots Guards (6th Guards Tank Brigade). we will be at the ceremony in June....hope you can make this date, as the local villagers in the surrounding areas are very hospitable and kind.

E.Findlay.

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Normandy to Saint Charles de Percy Cemetery

Hi I am travelling from Paris to Caen and need to get to the St Charles de Percy cemetary we are comming from Australia to see my uncle's grave can any help with what transport is available if it is a private hire car service we could use.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Normandy to Saint Charles de Percy Cemetery

Rent a car. It will be the most economical and give you freedom to see other sites.

7. Re: Travelling from Normandy to Saint Charles de Percy Cemetery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 27, 2015