We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in Normandy going alone or a tour?

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 nights in Normandy going alone or a tour?

Hello,

I'm planning to go to Normandy for 3 days around 2nd week of Dec. I'm hoping to stay in Beauyx as my base.

Day 1- Museum and Tapistry & walk

Day 2: D-Day tours

Day 3 - Mont St M

As i'm going alone and this is my first time in France, should i go on a Normandy tour & are they expensive? Or is it easy to navigate around the D Day Tours. There is a Tour from Caen that is about $113 but I think its abit expensive. Any views?

Thank you.

Christine From Adelaide

PS: I dont speak French!! So abit worried abt lost in translation.

Woolwich, Maine
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in Normandy going alone or a tour?

Recommend Jules highly. Try ! jules Vernon enquiries@militarymight.co.uk My grandso, daughter, wife anfd I hired Jules for 2 days. Excellent guide and person. He's al;so English but lives in France.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,555 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in Normandy going alone or a tour?

Many D-Day guided tour groups leave form Bayeux, see such as Overland Tours which are often mentioned here.

I must admit, though, that I have never partaken of a guided D-Day tour in France yet, just 'know they exist' from the forums here.

Rugger 96 has only ever been on the fourms to recommend this 'jules' so take that as you will.....

The Churchill Hotel in Bayeux runs a shuttle bus every day to Le Mont St Michel. It is only a minibus so takes around 8-12 peeps. You don't have to be staying at the Hotel to make use of it, but if you like the idea, it books up quick so you need to organise yourself well in advance.

There are many threads on this forum discussing how to get to/from Bayeux by Train from Paris, D-Day tours, hotels etc, etc.

You CAN do it all for yourself and don't necessarily need a tour at all, just browse the forum, then come back and ask any questions that strike you.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
1,016 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 nights in Normandy going alone or a tour?

I recommend you do a full day guided tour of the Normandy landing beaches since this is your first trip to France (especially since you have allocated only 1 day to the D-Day tour). I have done a full day tour of the US landing beaches and really enjoyed it.

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 nights in Normandy going alone or a tour?

Hiya,

Thank you all for your contributions, very helpful. Cheers.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 nights in Normandy going alone or a tour?

This post contains links to some of the tour guides that operate out of Bayeux. Also, read the links under "Things to Do" and Top Questions" along the margins of the Normandy homepage.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187179-i607-k5174…

I'm with those who are recommending that you take a guided tour. On separate trips, we have done it both ways - on our own and with guide - and there is no comparison. You simply see more and learn more with a guide, and guides sometimes have access to sites that are not open to the public. There's nothing like hearing the story from someone who makes Normandy their home.

Woolwich, Maine
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 nights in Normandy going alone or a tour?

I agree with the above comments. I've been to Normandy twice and have used JULES VERNON as a guide both times. He is excellent and he tailors the tour to his clients. His int ernet siete is militarymight.co.uk/d-daytours/index.php and email JULIAN VERNON <julesvee@btinternet.com> Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 11:37 am, November 15, 2012
Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 nights in Normandy going alone or a tour?

Hiya,

Just got an email from for Band of Brothers tour- they are closed till Mar. I will try Jules Vernon. Fingers crossed, i get book myself into a tour during winter. Just saw a documentary called Bloody Omaha, so I really want to visit the D-Day landings. A tour will be a good.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 nights in Normandy going alone or a tour?

Try some of the private guides on the links on my post. Group tours aren't likely to get many takers during the winter, and that's why they close, but you may be able to get a booking from a private guide. You might also consider the audio guide linked on my post.

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 nights in Normandy going alone or a tour?

Hiya Troggs,

Have read your link and it was really useful. Thank you

From St Lazare, I need to take the RER B to Byx. Now i need your advise on the following. My flight out of Paris is night, so I plan to book out of Byx in AM, take the train back to Paris St Lazare, and then to CDG Airport, leaving me plenty of time to catch my flight back home., This way, I don't have to spend a night in a Paris ($$$). Will this be ok, I read somewhere that the train journey from Byx to Paris is within few hours.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,244 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 nights in Normandy going alone or a tour?

You can check train times and prices yourself and also book your own ticket using the official train website www.voyages-sncf.com. That website is in French so you might find it easier to use the English language version of that site, www.tgv-europe.com.

If you use the TGV website to buy/reserve your tickets don't forget to uncheck the box marked "Direct Trains" to see all possible options. If the TGV site redirects you to the RailEurope website then try again and enter "Antarctic" as your ticket collection country. Other countries may also work but just try to find a country that doesn't get you redirected to RailEurope. The RailEurope website often doesn't show all the trains and generally has higher prices but you can check just to compare.

For trains that require reservations you can buy tickets up to 3 months or more in advance and the earlier you buy them the cheaper they will be. The discounted tickets are known as PREM tickets but these are non-refundable and can't be exchanged.

Here is a website that will tell you how to navigate the TGV website:

www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

An excellent website to learn all about train travel in Europe is www.seat61.com.