We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 3 D-Day points of interest?

Huizen, The...
Level Contributor
344 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Top 3 D-Day points of interest?

We are wanting to visit a maximum of 3, D-day points of interest. This because of the distance between where we are staying and this area and also we want to keep it interesting for our teenagers.

I have come across “Pointe du Hoc’ and I think this should be on our list, I would very much appreciate other suggestions. Not too large as I think Pointe du Hoc will fill up a bit of time.

Thanks for the help.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 3 D-Day points of interest?

My top choice would be Omaha Beach with time to walk down to the shoreline. You will know something happened there.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
798 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 3 D-Day points of interest?

I agree with Pointe du Hoc and Omaha Beach (especially the view from Vierville-Sur-Mer). In addition I like the German batteries at Longues-sur-Mer and the American Cemetery near Colleville-sur-Mer. The remains of the Mulberry Harbors in Arromanches are also interesting (and it does not take long to view these).

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 3 D-Day points of interest?

How long do you have? Everything that rockyjoe has suggested are more or less must sees if you're coming to the D-Day area - are all going to hold a teenager's interest and are in close proximity to each other, so although more than 3, are easily doable in a day.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,710 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 3 D-Day points of interest?

Arromanches for the Mulberry harbour, the small museum there is very good. If you go up to the 360' Cinema at the top of the cliffs it gives you a fantastic view over the remains of the harbour with a clear idea of how massive it was. Also the cinema show which has 'then and now' footage is interesting, exciting, thought provoking and moving for all ages.

5. Re: Top 3 D-Day points of interest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:00 pm, December 01, 2012
Huizen, The...
Level Contributor
344 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 3 D-Day points of interest?

Thank you every-one.

I am taking all the suggestions and we shall go to “Pointe du Hoc’ and Omaha beach and then see how we feel, what the weather is like and then choose.

I think seeing the parachute will also be a must and also going to the cemetary.

And being there on time in the morning is handy, then we shall have lunch and then get renewed energy of mind and body to hopefully see things in the afternoon. And otherwise we shall just have to come back another time :-)

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 3 D-Day points of interest?

I like your attitude. Travelers often set itineraries that are so crammed and to which they think they have to rigidly adhere that they don't enjoy what they are doing. Setting out with a "can do" list and deciding what you will do and when, as you say, "see how we feel, what the weather is like and then choose" is the way to go. IMO, a little of a good thing that's fun is better than too much on the go that's not.

I looks like you've set your priorities and will take things from there...that's smart. Remember that while you are on your trip, you can come on to TA and post a question if you find yourself having more time than you had planned. Download the TA app and use it while you travel. While traveling in the south of France, I was able to work in a visit to the Matisse Chapel because a member in Paris came on and told me how to get there from where I was at the time. "Near me now" on this app is also a good feature for finding sites and restaurants while you are out and about. You can get access to the reviews sections, and that's particularly helpful when finding restaurants.

Huizen, The...
Level Contributor
344 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 3 D-Day points of interest?

Ha ha, we are allergic to strict schedules ;-)

We like to be able to make room for when we come across unexpected things or do what we feel like doing even though we can in a week have seen a lot of things but still have wonderful AND relaxed time. Some-times I think people need to take a holiday after their holiday ;-)

Using internet on our phone when travelling around is expensive, so I try to get my own travel idea guide made and printed out.

Yes speaking of restaurants I want to make a list of idea’s but so much choice, maybe need to ask for the top 3 in certain area’s ;-)

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 3 D-Day points of interest?

If you can download a WiFi (your hotel should have it available), you won't be paying roaming rates when you use the TA app. At least, I haven't, but talk to your carrier. Expensive rates kick in when you use your phone line to connect to the internet, and mine does that if I'm not connected on a WiFi. I have to watch it. We use emails to communicate when we travel in France (vs. phone calls), but you can purchase prepaid SIM cards that change your phone to a local carrier. I haven't done this because calls to the people I travel with or want to call back home will mean a roaming rates, but if you think your family might need to make frequent calls to each other while you are traveling or you might be making a number calls to locations in France, you might want to consider the prepaid SIM card. For info, search "Lebara SIM" on the Paris forum. For me, it just hasn't been worth it, but it might be something for you to consider.

I'm like you, and make copies of bus schedules, restaurant recommendations and other info from the forums. I carry these in a small coupon folder that fits in my purse When WIFI isn't available and really need some information from the internet, I bite the bullet and pay the roaming fees.

Level Contributor
614 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top 3 D-Day points of interest?

xxx

Edited: 10:19 pm, October 11, 2012