We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodations Summer 2013

BEAVERTON
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodations Summer 2013

We are plannning a trip to Normandy (Juno Beach area) for August 2&3 2013...was looking at accomodations on line and discovered that a lot of the hotels are already booked! Seriously? Is there a Holiday or is it always busy here in the summer? If hotel accomodations are not available can anyone recommend a good B&B in the area?

From here we want to go to Ieper (Ypres) to spend some time.Is the drive do-able in one day? Will I need advance reservations? I was going to wing it it, but now am rethinking.

Special Offer
Normandy D-Day Battlefields and...
1,779 reviews
from $182.07*
$219.40
Small-Group Normandy D-Day Beaches...
48 reviews
from $263.20*
Special Offer
Versailles and Giverny Day Trip
1,449 reviews
from $209.53*
$249.40
Special Offer
2-Day Normandy, Saint Malo and Mont...
117 reviews
from $450.10*
$500.10
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodations Summer 2013

I would be more willing to believe that they're simply not taking reservations for August '13 yet...but yes -- August in Europe is peak tourist season, so it is possible that they would be booked out.

There is absolutely no way you can try to travel in France in August without reservations, unless you have a particular affinity for napping in your car at a rest stop.

Drive times and routes can be found at www.viamichelin.com -- but do add 25-30% to the estimated time, as automated driving calculators don't account for rest stops, traffic, construction, or weather -- any of which could be a considerable factor in August in Europe.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodations Summer 2013

I'm assuming that you are trying to book on line if that's the case and there is a place you particularly want to stay, try contacting the hotel or B&B directly. It's common for hotels in this part of France to be small - so they can fill up quickly , but Sunshine says, what's probably happening is that you are too far out from your travel date for an on line booking. My experience with booking smaller hotels in (especially) rural France is that the owners of these hotels tend to be "people people" (not web enthusiasts), and when I haven't been able to get reservation on line, I have been able to book when I have called or sent an email from my email address (vs. website's "contact us" link). Additionally, reservations for small hotels don't usually appear on line until 3-4 months before a travel date and by then, rooms are sometimes booked through other means before they ever appear on line. At times, I have found that shorter stays can't (ever) be booked over the internet, but I have been able get a booking for a few nights when I've contacted a hotel directly. It's worth a try, and if you still can't book for next August, try again after the first of the year.

Port-en-Bessin-Huppa...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodations Summer 2013

I doubt very much that they are already booked for August 2013, more likely they haven't released their rooms to booking sites yet. They probably haven't worked out 2013 prices yet!

BEAVERTON
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodations Summer 2013

Thanks All, I will give it some time before I try to book a place!

5. Re: Accomodations Summer 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 09, 2013