We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Normandy for a D Day Tour: Our Experience

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Normandy for a D Day Tour: Our Experience

In an effort to simplify things and put information in one place that I have posted on other threads, here is how we made our trip to the D Day sites and a few suggestions on what I have learned since our travel. Our experience is not the only way to make this trip, but I hope this will help travelers who are trying to find a place to start. This post will be made better by others contributing their thoughts and experiences, and I hope this will happen

1) Your destination: Our experience was to travel to Bayeux and take a guided tour from there. Caen is another popular location for D Day tours and home to the well known Memorial Museum. Bayeux is just a charming, relaxing place to visit, and within the town are a historic Tapestry Museum, lovely cathedral, and a collection of nice restaurants and pubs.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g187181-Bayeux_Basse…

www.tapisserie-bayeux.fr/index.php?id=3&L=1

http://www.memorial-caen.fr/portailgb/

2) How to plan: I recommend at least one night in Normandy and at least a one day guided tour. On separate trips, we have toured on our own and with a guide, and I highly recommend a guided tour. You will just see more, learn more, and get a better idea about how the events came together. The D Day area is 2 – 2 ½ hours by train from Paris, and while it is possible to make the trip in one day, that day will be brutal. It will be long and you will only be able to take a half day tour of the sites. If you have to make the trip in one day, I would suggest that you hire a private guide who can meet you at a train station and start your tour immediately upon your arrival. With a group tour, there are specific starting times. As most tours start early in the morning and end by 6 pm (18:00), it is possible to return to Paris after a tour.

If you stay in Bayeux and take a guided tour, you will not need a car. Everything in the town is within walking distance, including the tour meeting points. Mont St. Michel is about 2 hours from Bayeux, and the Hotel Churchill offers a day trip by minivan (see the link below) . In general, public transportation is not very efficient in Normandy, so a car is necessary to visit other destinations. Renting a car in Bayeux is complicated, and I would recommend taking the 20 minute train ride to Caen where there are several car rental offices outside the station. Honfleur, in particular, is a popular, short side trip from Bayeux, and the scenic route from Caen, through Deauville and Trouville, is lovely. You may also choose to travel to MSM on your own, and there are a host of other driving trips you can take. I’ll leave those specifics to others who know more about these destinations than me.

translate.google.com/translate…

2) Getting to Normandy by train: Trains to Normandy leave from the Paris St. Lazarre train station. I would recommend purchasing tickets in advance, especially if you are traveling during the tourist season. I would also suggest that you purchase a ticket that can be exchanged or refunded. While this may not be the lowest fare, it’s good for your peace of mind.

This paragraph applies to American travelers only, so skip it of you are traveling from another country. You’ll be bored and it might be confusing! American travelers need to be careful to avoid the Rail Europe site. US travelers using a computer from home are directed to RE if they use the SNCF site in translation or use “USA” on TGV as their home country. Fares are more expensive on RE and the list of routes is oten not as comprehensive. To avoid Rail Europe, American travelers should only use the TGV-Europe site, and for a translation, use any English speaking country as your home country. This will not affect your ability to print or purchase tickets from home.

US travelers wanting a translation, use TGV-Europe only:

http://www.tgv-europe.com/en/

Other travelers or American travelers who do not need a translation, use TGV or SNCF:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-train

For the terms of ticket exchange, go to the “Help and Contact” link in the upper right corner of the TGV home page. I'm not sure where this info is on the SNCF site. For ticket retrieval in France, travelers must present the exact credit card they used to purchase the ticket.

If you are traveling to Normandy after a stay in Paris, simply find your way to St. Lazarre. If you will be traveling to Normandy from CDG, please do not try to drive after an overseas flight. No matter how rested you may think you are, you are jet lagged. You have not had a full night’s sleep, and your reaction time will be impaired. Besides, it is very easy and relaxing to get to Normandy by train, and you can sleep. Either spend a night in Paris or after clearing customs and immigrations, follow the “Paris by Train” signs that will direct you to the airport’s train station. Here is a link to the CDG site that describes what you can expect there:

parisbytrain.com/charles-de-gaulle-airport-c…

You will take the RER B into Paris, but there is not a direct route from the airport to St. Lazarre. There are two ways to get there: Plan “A” is by two trains, meaning you arrive and depart on the same platform level at your connecting station and on “B,” you will take a train and metro line, meaning you change levels. Plan “A” is often recommended for its convenience, but as metro lines often run more frequently than trains, I am not sure that there may not be a wait between train connections. Perhaps someone can shed more light on this. Plan “B” was the information we had at the time of our travel and it worked for us. We changed platform levels, but there is a large, convenient elevator to accommodate passengers who need access or are traveling with luggage. For what it’s worth, we are empty nesters who traveled with a lot of luggage and this was easy.

Plan A: Take the RER B to Gare du Nord and the RER E to St. Lazarre.

Plan B: Take the RER B to Chatelet (one stop beyond Gare du Nord) and Metro line 14 to St. Lazarre.

3) Where to stay: So you won’t need to rent a car while taking a guided tour, I recommend staying inside the town of Bayeux. My first hotel recommendation would be the Hotel Churchill. It is charming and comfortable, and the staff is eager to make sure you enjoy your stay. The HC does not have an elevator, but if access is an issue, I think there are a few first floor rooms available. If the HC is where you want to stay, don’t delay as the hotel books quickly. We also met travelers who were happy staying at the Lion d’Or, and hopefully, some other hotel recommendations will follow.

http://www.hotel-churchill.fr/en.php

http://www.liondor-bayeux.fr/

4) Tours: Two companies that leave from Bayeux and have been very popular with TA travelers are Overlord and Battlebus. We took an Overlord tour and were very happy with our experience. Overlord has French guides, and we found the commentary particularly meaningful from a guide who makes Normandy his home. Overlord tours in eight passenger minivans, so the group is small.

Battlebus, a British company, seems to be scaling back and is now operating as D Day Historian. I mention Battlebus because it has been so popular with TA travelers and you may read reviews that will send you on a futile search. For now, there is a link between Battlebus and DDH, but that could disappear over time. Below are links to all three sites:

http://www.overlordtour.com/

http://www.battlebus.fr/

http://www.ddayhistorian.com/

If there are more than three people in a party, private guide rates may be competitive to group rates. Some of these guides may require that you provide the vehicle, and again, I would send you to Caen for a rental. I can’t really find a list of private guides, but information is available on various TA threads. Go to the Normandy Forum and search “private tour guides.” Perhaps a better suggestion will follow.

There are tours that leave directly from Paris, but from what I’ve read, I would visit the region as I’ve described here. The whole trip was just a lovely, moving experience, and we enjoyed a little bit of Normandy while satisfying our desire to visit the historic WWII sites. As I said in the beginning, how we toured the sites is not the only way to have the D Day experience. This is what worked for us, and I hope others will follow with their comments and suggestions.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,456 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Normandy for a D Day Tour: Our Experience

Wow, troggs, fantastic information in your usual helpful way.

Don't know how I did it, but I have googled-up some websites for some of the guys who did work for Battlebus and have now branched out on their own as follows:

http://daleboothnormandytours.com/ - guide Dale Booth!! - dboothholidays@sfr.fr

http://firstnormandybattlefieldtours.com/ - guide Allan Bryson (but this site is not up & running yet) - allan.bryson@orange.fr

I can't recommend ANY of these tours personally, as thus far I have always just made my own way around Normandy.

I can recommend visiting Arromanches to see the remains of one of the Mulberry Harbours, the small Museum there is very good, and the 360' Cinema I really enjoyed.(website in French)

http://www.arromanches360.com/

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Normandy for a D Day Tour: Our Experience

Hi.

I took a morning train from Paris, and was able to spend the afternoon seeing a little of Bayeux: the Bayeux Tapestry, the Cathedral, and the Lace Conservatory (the last much more interesting than I thought it would be).

I stayed overnight at the Hotel Reine Mathilde, and found it very comfortable, as well as centrally-located. They have a restaurant associated with the hotel where I ate an early dinner before walking to the train station, and it was fine. Reine Mathilde is noticeably less expensive than the Churchill, if that is a consideration.

Took an all-day tour with Battlebus and easily caught an early-evening train back to Paris.

Sandy

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Normandy for a D Day Tour: Our Experience

Great work, troggs! Chapeau! Which is French for "my hat's off to you!"

One thing that you may have mentioned but that I missed if you did is that you cannot take a train in the morning from Paris to Bayeux and pick up one of the ordinary full day minibus tours that start out from Bayeux. The first train arrives too late and in any case the tour operators generally do not accept reservations for people who are not staying overnight in Bayeux or very close. It is possible as troggs' very comprehensive post suggests, to get back to Paris by train from Bayeux after taking the full day tour.

I sometimes get the impression that people believe that the D-day beaches and the area immediately inland are pretty much all of Normandy and that the only other place worth visiting is Mont-St-Michel. Nothing could be further from the truth. Important as the landing beaches are they are only a very small part of Normandy and splendid as Mont-St-Michel is there are many more splendid paces to explore in this huge region. From Dieppe to Mont-St-Michel and from Cherbourg in the north to well south of Paris the region is full of wonderful sites from medieval castles to beautiful gardens, from magnificent ruins to beautiful beaches, from enchanting villages to grand cathedrals. There are some lovely areas to explore little more than an hour from Paris in the Seine valley or the area known as Le Perche Normand for example where you can wander quiet lanes among lovely scenery and find something interesting at every bend in the road.

Touring the D-day beaches is an emotional and memorable experience and visiting Mont-st-Michel is a highlight of their trip for some but spending a week in Normandy seeing some of the rest of the region, including the places troggs and EssexWanderer have mentioned would be time well spent.

Thanks again, troggs, for taking the time to put this together. Perhaps you should post it in the Paris forum too?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Normandy for a D Day Tour: Our Experience

Thanks EssexWanderer, sandyha, IrishRovr. and any other contributors who might join in. I know you as contributors with the best intentions toward travel in France. I have posted this on the Paris forum. Here is the link, and hopefully more posters will visit and share their experiences from that forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k41776…

This is post I've wanted to make for some time. I made a similar post on how I navigate the system of public transport in the Cote d'Azur, and a link has been helpful when when we read often asked questions. It is overwhelming when travelers first start their travel search, and the more concise we can be in in consolidating responses, the easier it is for us and the less intimidating it may be for for the traveler. I know this from starting searches on my own. I know I could post an article, but I look at travel from the perspective of an American traveler, and I know there is more than one way to plan a trip. I tend to use "I recommend," "I suggest," and "you might consider" too often. I've been rejected and get it. I choose to post on the forums where other travelers can share their experiences.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Normandy for a D Day Tour: Our Experience

I enjoyed your report and have bookmarked it for future reference as Normandy is a part of France I've not visited...yet. Thank you!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Normandy for a D Day Tour: Our Experience

Thank you so much for this!

My husband and I are headed to Paris in June. We've been many times, so were interested in taking a trip elsewhere for an overnight stay. While we don't have many days to spend in Normandy, taking the train from Paris to stay the evening in Bayeux, and taking a full day trip the following day, returning to Paris in the evening sounds wonderful, and your detailed information is going to make it possible. Thank you SO MUCH!

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Normandy for a D Day Tour: Our Experience

A great contrib. I've added it to top questions. There is a list of guides available in the top questions.

Isigny-sur-Mer...
Level Contributor
50 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris to Normandy for a D Day Tour: Our Experience

Boy, if I was a travel agency owner, I would hire you ! your replies were very thorough. Thank you to help futur travelers to my beautiful region. I name you "Ambassador at large for Normandy" !

9. Re: Paris to Normandy for a D Day Tour: Our Experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, January 20, 2011
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris to Normandy for a D Day Tour: Our Experience

Adding to my post...

1) Train schedules are usually posted 60 - 90 days before a date of travel. That's when you can plan on making your reservation. If you are getting a response that a route does not exist, you are probably starting to early. The Paris/Bayeux schedule will be listed eventually. If you want to get an idea about how the schedule might look, you can try a search closer to the current date.

2) We arrived at CDG at 10:00 am and caught the 12:25 pm train to Bayeux. I remember that we had a wait after we arrived at St. Lazarre, but I don't remember how long that was. It wasn't short, and we had time to get something to eat (such as it was!). We had booked a later train, but paid the ticket exchange fee and took an earlier train.

In booking your reservation, allow yourself plenty of time for things to go wrong and live with the exchange fee if you are lucky enough to arrive early. There are fares where a ticket can be exchanged after a departure time, but for peace of mind, I wouldn't risk that working or that the next train could be sold out. By booking a train that would allow for a flight delay or a slow passage through customs, you would at least have a ticket that will get you to Bayeux sometime that day.

3) Tickets have to be validated before you board a train. There is a yellow box on the departure platform for doing this. Insert your ticket and it will be stamped. Failure to do this can result in a fine.