We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michelin * Restaurants

bristol
9 posts
Save Topic
Michelin * Restaurants

I'm heading back to Normandy in April - a great excuse for me to nosey around the battlefields but this time I also want an excellent dinner to celebrate an anniversary. I'm planning ahead to try and cure the winter blues and was hoping to get some advice.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for special restaurants. I know there are one or two michelin starred restaurants in Normandy - I've never been to one - are they always outstanding or just hyped?

Any insight would be gratefully received.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,067 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Michelin * Restaurants

Michelin starred restaurants all serve excellent food: if they fail to do so, they loose the star(s).

You can find Michelin-recommended restaurants at www.viamichelin.com

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,932 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Michelin * Restaurants

Whether you like a Michelin-starred restaurant really depends on your personal preference. I have been to several, including a couple that are consistently ranked in the top 5. Not all of them are great though. In general, expect Michelin * restaurants to focus a lot of effort on presentation. Food tends to be served with lighter seasoning (so you can taste the ingredient) with foamy sauces. Many of them have some sort of fusion or creative dishes that one might not always find to their liking. Simply put, if you are a meat and potatoes, homemade meal kind of eater, you might not like what they offer.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Michelin * Restaurants

Le Pave d'Auge in the charming village of Beuvron-en-Auge is a wonderful place, but Beuvron-en-Auge is a bit inland, not near the battlefields, etc.

bristol
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Michelin * Restaurants

Thanks for your feedback. I can not seem to access Pave D'Auge website for the time being but will check on it again later. I do like most French cuisine although I am not keen on the sort of restaurant where you leave more hungry than when you arrived. Is there a very good seafood restaurant with or without michelin status in either Honfleur / D514 coastline?

bristol
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Michelin * Restaurants

Wow... thanks for the recommendation Grandmere. The Pave D'Auge website looks fantastic. Just the ticket for our celebration. Have you actually been there, can you personally recommend it. 110 Euros B&B and the 35 Euro Menu looks like a real bargain if it lives up to the billing?

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Michelin * Restaurants

The thing to remember about Michelin star restaurants is that the food does not necessarily reflect the cruisine of the region they are in. A michelin star restaurant in Normandy is more likely to see itself in competition with a restaurant in Tokyo or New York than its local neighbours.

Thus, if you're looking specifically for the local specialities served authentically you are more likely to find them served in a locally well regarded restaurant than in a Michelin star restaurant.

You are also more likely to run in to other tourists rather than locals when you visit a Michelin star restaurant. We have one not 5 km away, but I doubt if many of the French people in town have been there. The clientel is mainly food writers, tourists from Paris, and English people.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Michelin * Restaurants

Moose 89, I was there for lunch in '05, by chance. We were in Beuvron-en-Auge at lunchtime and hungry, and one of our party of 4 just walked in and asked if they could seat us. Before we knew it there we were in this lovely restaurant where you take your time eating; I say this b/c we were en route to Honfleur and hadn't expected to do "destination dining" for lunch, had just wanted a quick bite. Anyway, we were very pleased with the experience and later learned that Pave d'Auge is quite well known and justly so. The building itself is very old and the restaurant is decorated in a traditional Norman style. If you like the look of the website, you would probably enjoy dining there.

Have fun!

bristol
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Michelin * Restaurants

Thanks again Grandmere

I will be visiting, not for a while yet, but will report back afterward

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,067 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Michelin * Restaurants

>>A michelin star restaurant in Normandy is more likely to see itself in competition with a restaurant in Tokyo or New York than its local neighbours.<<

Probably not if it is *. We had an excellent meal at a Michelin * restaurant in Provence, and the food was definitely Provencal. On the other hand, ** and *** become increasingly esoteric.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Michelin * Restaurants

Most of our favorite Michelin-rated restaurants have had only one star, enough for excellent food without all the fuss that goes with two- and three-star places.

In Normandy a very pleasant no-star restaurant that we liked very much: La Chaîne d'Or, in Petit-Andelys. It's exactly what a good country restaurant should be, both in décor and ambience and with exceptional food. I still dream about the tarte tatin flamed with Calvados.

The small hotel that houses the restaurant is very nice, with rooms that overlook a bend in the Seine river.