We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Normandy in March

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
299 reviews
Save Topic
Normandy in March

As a weatherman, I know what kind of weather to expect in Normandy in the month of March. However, has anybody actually visited during this month? I'm slightly worried that it may be "unbearably" cold and windy for outdoor touring. I can suck it up, so to speak, but I'm traveling with toddlers, and I don't want them to be absolutely miserable.

Bayeux Shuttle Multimedia Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
OverlordTour
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Normandy44 Tours
Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Normandy Sightseeing Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Port-en-Bessin-Huppa...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Normandy in March

As a weatherman I'm sure you'll realise that these days the weather is totally unpredictable. We moved to Normandy in March 2003 and for the first week that we were here we ate breakfast in the garden every morning it was so warm and during the day the temperatures were getting up to the high 60s, this is slightly unusual but March can actually be very mild, it would certainly be unusual and unlucky for it to be "unbearably" cold.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Normandy in March

Thanks for the first-hand report. It's good to hear from a local. I just hated to think that my trip to Normandy was ruined by such foul weather, but it sounds like it should be managable.

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Normandy in March

I'd second what Thiaumerie says and add that you should always have a wind-rain proof jacket handy even if the day seems warm. The weather can change rapidly and if you go to the beaches it's often windy.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
117 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Normandy in March

I am planning a day trip to Normandy area at the beginning of January - What is the weather like then? I live in northern California so I will have to buy clothing and shoes for my Paris trip anyway, but will it be very bitter cold in the Normandy area? Are we crazy?

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Normandy in March

January's average high is only 46F, low is 36F, and of course cloudy and windy. I thought I was silly for going in March...

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Normandy in March

The sea keeps the temperatures "not bitter". It's rare to have snow along the coast. Can be damp and windy. Have a stout jacket and enjoy your trip.

7. Re: Normandy in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 15, 2010