We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

D-day Beaches

Utah
6 posts
Save Topic
D-day Beaches

I will be in France on D-Day. We plan to see the D-Day beaches, but not sure which day to go. Is that a good time to visit the D-Day beaches? Are there special things going on? Is it worth going on that specific day? Or will it just mean bigger crowds?

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: D-day Beaches

This is the link to a draft programme which will give you an idea of what's planned

normandie-tourisme.fr/images/1983-1-dp-dday-…

Just to give you an idea - we went to the 60th anniversary with my parents as my father was a paratrooper who landed on 6th June. We had to obtain special passes many months before for the major events but there were many things open to the general public. Parking near an event could be a problem and there was strict control by both the French police and the British troops.

It was an amazing experience to be part of so make the most of it. In particular talk to the veterans - they have many different stories to tell.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: D-day Beaches

This year a lot of the British ceremonies are going to be on the 5th and US ones on the 6th. For the 60th anniversary there were 17 Heads of State present and consequently security was at its height (apparently the D-Day beach area of Normandy was the safest place on earth that weekend with all the troops, police and secret service in attendance!) and indeed passes were needed to get anywhere near the beaches, even for residents. However, as I understand it from some of the organisers, this time it is more about making it a memorable occasion for the veterans themselves and access for the general public should be easier.

In 2004 we went to the firework display on 5th June and it was absolutely awesome. Port en Bessin was filled with the sound of Glen Miller music and there were many reanactment societies present and it was like walking through a movie set or going back in time.

I went to the services last year with an 85 year old veteran friend of ours and it is extremely moving and interesting.

As for crowds and parking, it depends what you're used to in your part of the States. We used to live just otuside London and almost didn't bother with the 2004 events because of our expectations but it was a lot easier to park and move about than we expected.

I think as an American you will find Omaha Beach/US cemetery will be the best place to be.

Alencon, France
Level Contributor
476 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: D-day Beaches

There's a full schedule of events and times day-by-day and town-by-town here:

…wordpress.com/d-day-65th-anniversary-events…

plus other information on the same site.

4. Re: D-day Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, October 19, 2009