We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luc-sur-Mer Normandy is good base to explore D-Day beaches ?

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
79 posts
156 reviews
Luc-sur-Mer Normandy is good base to explore D-Day beaches ?

Dear All,

We're planning to do tours of D-Day beaches and wanted to know if Luc-sur-Mer is good place as base ?

Is it easily accessible from Paris and how is bus frequency to visit cities like Caen & Bayeux ?

Thanks & Regards,

Vicky

9 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,758 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Luc-sur-Mer Normandy is good base to explore D-Day beaches ?

Luc-sur-Mer is as good a seaside place as any other as a base for exploring the D-Day beaches, but bear in mind that it takes two hours, without stops, to drive from one end of these beaches to the other (and that Luc is toward the eastern end). You will need a car for exploration.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
2. Re: Luc-sur-Mer Normandy is good base to explore D-Day beaches ?

To get to Luc-sur-Mer from Paris by public transport is by train (Gare St Lazare) to Caen, about 2 hrs, then bus, about 25 min. https:/…544-Les-horaires-Bus-Verts.html

If you are not going to hire a car in Caen and drive yourself for D Day touring can I suggest you stay in Bayeux and take the tours from there.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
79 posts
156 reviews
3. Re: Luc-sur-Mer Normandy is good base to explore D-Day beaches ?

Dear All,

Thanks for your replies, we're back from wonderful trip to Normandy.

I've complied all the findings in my blog with extensive details, as I found French government doens't have good facilities for tourists in the region and we're at mercy of private tour operators charging very high money.

please google for vikramvi knowledge sharing Normandy travel guide, I've shared tons of info from our trip

Regards,

Vikram

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
41,171 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Luc-sur-Mer Normandy is good base to explore D-Day beaches ?

Sorry to hijack this thread but was wondering if Caen was a good place to stay when visiting the landing sites?

Donna

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
79 posts
156 reviews
5. Re: Luc-sur-Mer Normandy is good base to explore D-Day beaches ?

Hi dbabe,

Definitely Caen is also a good option to stay but I would suggest if you've care then stay in near smaller towns as you can save quite a lot on hotels / airbnb. I found them 20 - 30% cheaper than staying in Caen.

I've complied lots of info in my blog from our trip last week, you can google for vikramvi knowledge sharing Normandy travel guide

Have a wonderful Normandy trip.

Regards,

Vikram

Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Luc-sur-Mer Normandy is good base to explore D-Day beaches ?

Luc sur mer is OK if you have a car. If not, NO.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for France
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: Luc-sur-Mer Normandy is good base to explore D-Day beaches ?

Caen is a larger town that as been mostly destroy during the war, so it lacks a bit of charm in comparison of Bayeux which is smaller and delightful since it has been untouch by the war destruction. Lots of the D-Day beaches tours leave from Bayeux. Personaly I would opt for Bayeux.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
41,171 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Luc-sur-Mer Normandy is good base to explore D-Day beaches ?

Plannerholic, thank for that information. Will certainly check into it as we want to do some tours and have a more charming stay.

Donna

Essex
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
69 reviews
9. Re: Luc-sur-Mer Normandy is good base to explore D-Day beaches ?

There are some tours that are based in Caen, though, including those run by the Memorial Museum.

Reply to: Luc-sur-Mer Normandy is good base to explore D-Day beaches ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted