We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$$ Per Day in Normandy

Colorado
Level Contributor
321 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
$$ Per Day in Normandy

My husband and I are planning to do Normandy by rental car from Paris in mid-May. Guidebooks seem to claim that around $200 (US) per day is a good estimate (not counting car rental). We did England on about $150 (US) about five years ago. Is $200 reasonable? We usually stay at B&B's and don't spend a lot at meals. The one concern I do have is that restaurants in France seem to be pricey (at least according to the guide books I have looked at). 25 euros/person for dinner is a bit steep for us. I'm sure it's possible to find less expensive, but I am a bit worried that we'll find ourselves way over budget! Thanks for any $$ advice.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $$ Per Day in Normandy

If you can live comfortably in the UK on 150 bucks per day you'll do the same in France. Cost of you're large meal will depend on where you choose and probably more important whether or not you drink wine which is what restaurants make their money on.

If you avoid the up market restaurants in the touist traps and keep to the small brasseries & cafés you'll eat well and not pay a fortune. Look out for the restaurants that advertise a plat du jour and if you like it stick to that, it'll quite often be very good and very cheap.

It is also pleasant in France to buy a baguette some cheese and paté then sit on in a small fishing harbour eating and watching world go by.

England
Level Contributor
702 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $$ Per Day in Normandy

Heidi

If the cost of meals out is going to be a consideration, can I suggest you look at making Appart'City in Caen your base for at least 2 nights (minimum stay)?

Appart'City is designed for long-stay business accommodation so, basically, you are renting a modern one room appartment for a couple of nights @ $70 per night. It was only built in 2006, so the rooms are clean and the fittings are new, if a bit basic. There is no room service or restaurant on site, but you have a fully-fitted kitchen, microwave, fridge and dishwasher - everything you need for self-catering. You have 24 hour access to your room - although best to check in on the first night before 17:00, while the office is still open.

Appart'City Caen is easily accessible by car, with free on-site parking, as it is just off the northern ring road, so driving is about as easy as it gets in France. It is well situated for heading off to the beaches, Bayeaux and Mont St Michael.

Within 5 minutes walk, you have an enormous Carrefour (supermarket complex), and the ubiquitous McDonalds, so you can self-cater as much as your budget requires. You can buy a family day ticket for the Caen Twisto (http://www.twisto.fr/english/) for about $5, which will take you right into the centre of Caen. Get off at St Pierre just past the Castle and wander into the Rue du Vaugneux. You will find a whole range of cheap (and more expensive) places to eat.

If you spend a day at the Memorial (www.memorial-caen.fr/portail_gb/hp/hp.asp) - and you do need a whole day - have a proper lunch in the Eisenhower restaurant. We had a good one course lunch with wine for 15 euros each and just snacked in the evening.

In summary, we had 2 nights in Caen at the Appart'City, admission to the Memorial, enough food from Carrefour, and a couple of meals out (the second was 40 euros/person at Le P'tit B - an exceptionally good one), which came to 150 euros/person = $200.

If anyone else is reading this, self-catering family appartments are also available for an economical break with hungry teenagers.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $$ Per Day in Normandy

Don't forget that since you did England 5 years ago on $150 inflation has resulted in price rises and both the Euro and the £ Sterling have strengthened against the US$.

I assume your $200 per day includes hotel costs? The price quoted at 25 Euro is probably for a 3 or 4 course set meal. You may find that going al a carte and not having the fixed price meal will be more expensive than sticking to the set meal. Look for "Relais Routiers" restaurants - frequented by truckers and excellent value for money - 3 courses under 10 Euro plus wine! (it is fair to say you do need a lot of confidence to walk into one as a tourist during busy times).

Breakfast is cheap - coffee and a croissant at a street cafe (buy the roll from the bakers and eat it at the cafe - quite acceptable) and lunch as a picnic is what you make it - a baguette, tomatoeswith cheese or pate and a bottle of local wine - about 5 to 7 Euro.

So $200 per day is probably OK but don't forget that 25 Euro is an average price for a set meal in most of France.

In England now a modest lunch in a country pub without drinks will cost about $15 to $20 per head and a fairly simple hotel between $80 to $200 per night

4. Re: $$ Per Day in Normandy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, August 29, 2009