We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Braderie hotel and metro

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Braderie hotel and metro

Obviously booking kind of late since it's only a month away but I think I found a good solution, I've got the Ibis budget Lille Englos (ex ETAP HOTEL) Autoroute Lille-Dunkerque HAUBOURDIN on reserve for $86, it appears that we can take the metro into Lille from St. Philibert which looks to be a short drive (or bus if such thing exists) and has parking. My other options were the Mercure in Roubaix which was $170US or the Ibis in Tourcoing for $130, both of which are very close to metro stations. Does this sound like a good plan? We are driving in from Bruges sometime on Saturday and intend on visiting on Sunday morning.

I'm familiar with the Ibis Budget and Ibis hotels, the recent reviews of it are fine.

Also, if I'm reading the Grand Braderie site correctly, the market does not close overnight? Do people really stay out at it during the later hours of the evening? Are they still selling things or does the nature of it change after dark? We have been before but only during the earlier part of the day.

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Braderie hotel and metro

I would go for either the hotel in Roubaix or Tourcoing.

From there you have the option of either the metro or the tram into the centre of Lille.

There are buses from the hotel in Englos, but the metro and tram will be more frequent

See transpole.fr/documents/plans/Plan-6350861499… for details.

The Braderie runs continuously from Saturday afternoon to Sunday evening. In the evening, people concentrate on eating and drinking. Most of the bars in the city centre will stay open all night,

Public transport runs all night from Saturday into Sunday, and Transpole do a special pass for €5.00 which gives unlimited travel on buses metro and trams all weekend.

One word of caution though. As with any event that attracts large crowds, there are pickpockets around, so don't take too many valuables with you. I was warned about this by a taxi driver in Lille once.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Braderie hotel and metro

You might contact Maison Champlain. It is luxe and expensive but they sometimes discount their most expensive room (#1) to the level you mention. Very central, fab breakfast, lovely people, exquisite room.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Braderie hotel and metro

Thanks for the responses. I'll have a look at that hotel but during the Grand Braderie anything within spitting distance of Lille, including Roubaix and Tourcoing has increased their prices 2-3 times the normal rate.

I meant taking the bus or driving to the metro station, not taking a bus into Lille. Is there a reason why you wouldn't stay there? It seems to be a much less expensive option for us and once we get to the metro the ride faster than the ride to and from Tourcoing. Also easy access to get on and off the highway since we are only stopping for one night.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Braderie hotel and metro

There are five bus routes from the hotel in Englos to the metro at St Philibert. (54,61,64,230 and 231) plus another one (Corolle) to the metro at Bourg.

he Corolle also serves the metro at CHR B-Calmette, at the end of Line 1. whilst the 54 goes to the metro at Porte Des Postes (Lines 1 & 2)

So it would be feasible to stay in Englos and use public transport to get into the centre of Lille.

Have you tried looking at booking.com for the dates concerned? That will give you an idea of what is available and you can sort by price. Whatever you do, I would book a hotel soon. The Braderie is very popular, and accomodation will become increasingly scarce as the date gets nearer.

Edited: 1:30 pm, July 31, 2013
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Braderie hotel and metro

Thanks, yes I have looked at booking.com, that is where I found the Mercure in Roubaix. I have a cancellable reservation there which I'm going to cancel since I found the Ibis. We're only going to sleep there so $170 is a little steep. Thanks for giving me the bus routes, I'll try to remember to post back about how it works because this is the 4th time we've gone and we've never quite gotten it right. Actually the 1st time we did, we stayed at that Mercure in Roubaix but it wasn't overpriced like it is now and it was before it was part of the Accor chain. The 2nd time we stayed somewhere in between Bruges and Lille and last time we drove and parked at the very far end of it in what was probably an illegal space but there were dozens of cars there so we took our chances

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Braderie hotel and metro

My point, Chicago, is that this small insilite place is often overlooked by fleas. We squeezed in quite late last year and paid well under list, which unlike chains, diesn't fluctuate. One price which they occasionally discount in order to stay full.

Edited: 5:21 pm, July 31, 2013
7. Re: Grand Braderie hotel and metro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 02, 2014