We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris or Lille

Which Lille hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london, england
Level Contributor
113 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Paris or Lille

Hi there,

Looking for some help, i am contemplating taking my mother to either Paris or Lille on the eurostar for her 50th, me and my partner have both been to paris but my mother has not.

What plusses does Lille have that Paris does not? I am thinking it would be nicer to go to Lille as its a lesser distance a smaller town, but as my mother has not been to Paris i am concerned that Lille isnt as comparable to Paris.

anyone able to help with an answer?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,275 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris or Lille

Not to shortchange Lille, but there's not much of a question -- for a 50th birthday and a first visit, take her to Paris.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris or Lille

It's got to be Paris - surely you want to go back to Paris as well - you can't have seen it all!

Lille has plenty going for it - take her for her 51st.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris or Lille

I think that you have hit on the advantages of Lille. The journey time, even taking account of the hours time difference, means that you will not have to get your mother up at the crack of dawn to get there in good time for a leisurely lunch. It is compact and the old town is very pleasant to wander round. There are some good museums and galleries if that is her thing. A day trip to Paris is possible and many people enjoy it, but Paris would still be there for a weekend visit..

london, england
Level Contributor
113 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris or Lille

Does Lille have loads of little Boulangerie's like paris does everywhere? i would like to take her to one of these as i think they are great.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris or Lille

Every town in France has boulongeries, as do all but the smallest illages.

6. Re: Paris or Lille

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:47 pm, July 09, 2013