We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Was it a Public Holiday yesterday

Which Dunkirk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Was it a Public Holiday yesterday

We traveled from Belgium through France to the Port of Dunkirk yesterday and all of the Supermarkets etc we normally visit were closed?

Does anyone know if it was a holiday yesterday or something was happening in the area I didn't see anything online about it before I booked?

Thanks

Piglet :-)

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Was it a Public Holiday yesterday

< We traveled from Belgium through France to the Port of Dunkirk yesterday and all of the Supermarkets etc we normally visit were closed?

Does anyone know if it was a holiday yesterday or something was happening in the area I didn't see anything online about it before I booked? >

Just a normal Sunday in Belgium. On the whole, supermarkets are not open in Belgium on Sundays anyway.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Was it a Public Holiday yesterday

It wasn't Belgium it was France. Mainly Auchan at the Port which IS normally open on Sundays which is why I was asking. I am aware that Supermarkets and other shops are not open in Belgium.

Thanks anyway.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Was it a Public Holiday yesterday

That's weird! I've just checked their site and they say they are only open Monday to Saturday but I know in the past I have definitely been on a Sunday as that is the day we usually come back! They must have changed it since our last trip.

Oh well, you live and learn! Will shop in Belgium on the Saturday next time!

UK
Level Contributor
170 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Was it a Public Holiday yesterday

Maybe you have been on a pre-Christmas shopping trip in the past, Piglet?

Some of the major Calais supermarkets tend to open on Sundays in December, for the British cross-Channel trade.

Angela

5. Re: Was it a Public Holiday yesterday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, November 06, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Dunkirk