We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is your favourite place in this area?

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
What is your favourite place in this area?

I always recommend Boulogne for day trippers who do not want to go far from Calais/Coquelles, and this was the area my love to France, well, Northern France was born.

I've been to a few places now and I don't think I have yet to find a favourite, they all are different. I enjoyed walking around the ramparts of Montreuil and Berques, and you could get a sense of history of how it was. I like the aquarium, harbour area and old town of Boulogne. I enjoyed the little park area of Hazebrocke, and the kite festival of Berck Sur Mer. St Omer and it's rocket museums are definetely of interest. I enjoyed Dunkirk, and the obvious history of the place. Obviously I've really summed these places up in short sentences :D

Le Touquet, called Little Paris, is definetely different altogether, enjoyed my visit there.

So over to you :)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is your favourite place in this area?

The rocket bunker near St Omer. There is a Lemonade factory - traditional fizzy lemonade bottles in glass with popping corks - in Hardinghen near Guines, the tour was worth a visit. Just chilling in the sun and breeze on the campsite at La Bien Assise, Guines and dinner in the restaurant, La Ferme Gourmande

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is your favourite place in this area?

Never been to the Lemonade factory, sounds intriguing :)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is your favourite place in this area?

A great place for kids, especially the free samples. I had no idea there were so many flavours of 'lemon'ade! It is a family run outfit set in what might be a large farmyard. They export to local outlets. From the website;

In the mid-1930s the owners of the brewery in Hardinghen started making natural lemonade and orange and lemon sodas, which they named after their newly-born daughter.

Now the factory is one of the few remaining to supply fizzy drinks made and bottled in the traditional way.

In recent years they have developed new natural flavours, like violet, pistachio, manadarin and apple - using just sugar, water and subtle natural extracts.

Touring the factory, you will see how the drinks are mixed and bottled, and enjoy a tasting - meals can also be booked.

3km south of Guînes

Information/ reservations:

Tel: 00 33 3 21-85 00 96 - Fax: -85 08 26

E-mail: lagosse@wanadoo.fr

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is your favourite place in this area?

My husband jumped for joy when I told him about this place....not because of the lemonade but because he misheard me when I told him it was 3km south of "Guinness"!!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is your favourite place in this area?

Now for the proper stuff aka Guinness you need to go where 171956 hails from ;)

Thanks for the information, does sound of interest :) Pistachio lemonade sounds different.....different idea adding nuts into lemonade..

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is your favourite place in this area?

I can't help it, a day in Calais is still a good ay IMO!!

I like all the other places mentioned so far, but if I only had a day-trip, then for me, Calais it would be!

On my tours to France, if I don't get the chance to tip my casque at those altruistic Burghers, it just is not right!

Sure I can see them nicely restored in Victoria Tower Gardens, London, but in their own town, the tortured skills of Rodin are just so much more poignant....

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is your favourite place in this area?

Nothing wrong with Calais EssexWanderer :)

Must say one of things I always do when I'm over there is visit Cite Europe at Coquelles, can't resist Carrefour and C&A.

I know not the same thing but still :)

Edited: 1:45 pm, February 28, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is your favourite place in this area?

When we were camping in France Calais was just an overnight til we decided to stay for a few days once. Calais and the surrounding area is wonderful and a pity its often overlooked.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is your favourite place in this area?

Or people just visit it for their duty free, it's much more than that.

Bidston
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is your favourite place in this area?

When did you go, as the factory closed down years ago. It's now a housing estate.