We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Toulouse...is it a city worth visiting??

Which Toulouse hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 nights in Toulouse...is it a city worth visiting??

I'll be travelling from Bordeaux to Avignon and have thought about spending 2 nights in Toulouse with my husband and toddler. Is it just another city or special enough to stay 2 nights? Am I wasting my time?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,237 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in Toulouse...is it a city worth visiting??

Toulouse is a pleasant enough city and two nights with the day in between for looking around is a good way to break up the long journey from Bordeaux to Avignon. You don't say when you are making this trip so if it's during the winter be ready for rainy days, even snow in the shortest months.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in Toulouse...is it a city worth visiting??

I'll be in France the first week of November. Hopefully nice and cool still, but not cold.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
39 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in Toulouse...is it a city worth visiting??

Toulouse is definitely worth visiting, and will give you an idea of French southern identity. The city is famous in France for its "pink color" and is known as the pink city, because of the light red colored bricks used in the construction of the old town area. I recomend a walk through old town streets, squares and monuments: XI century romanic Basilique St Sernin - animated rue du Taur - city hall Capitole (go first floor) - Jacobins cloister - Hotel d'Asezat - rue Croix Baragnon and St Etienne Cathedral - place St Georges and place Salengro for the nice atmosphere, cafés and restaurant terraces... Sunset is perfect next to la Daurade square, enjoying the nice the river side panorama.

If you are interested by the air&space legacy of the city - home of the Airbus and Concorde, and also departure point of St Exupery and Aeropostale - go visit the Concorde and Airbus A380, or the Cité de l'Espace if you are with kids (dedicated to astronomy).

Famous south western food specialities: duck confit and magret, foie gras. Local winery: Fronton, Gaillac, Cahors, Côteaux du Languedoc..

Toulouse, France
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in Toulouse...is it a city worth visiting??

Wasting your time? No, definetely no. Especially if you like history.

There are 3 UNESCO listed monuments: Saint Sernin, Les Jacobins and Canal du Midi.

The tourist office organizes every day all kind of city center walking tours.

Check out a short description of Toulouse and things you can do while there:

southweststory.com/city-main.php?id=tls

Carly

Chicago
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in Toulouse...is it a city worth visiting??

I am in Toulouse right now- don't come. The center of the city is drugged up, construction, terrible noise, dust are everywhere. Maybe next year, then you will be able truly enjoy it without distractions.

6. Re: 2 nights in Toulouse...is it a city worth visiting??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 11, 2013