We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toulouse to Carcassone by car

Ireland
Level Contributor
153 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Toulouse to Carcassone by car

We are going to Carcassone area in Sept., but left it too late to book flights so have now decided to fly into Toulouse instead and drive down. Is this an easy driving route and is it motorway or secondary roads. Also, can you recommend a scenic area to stay in between two cities which is accessible to both.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,979 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toulouse to Carcassone by car

It's motorway almost all the way and won't take longer than about 1 hour 20 minutes. There are tolls to pay.

The only town of any size between the two is Castelnaudary, about half way. I have only ever been through it on the train. Claims to fame are its self proclaimed status as 'Cassoulet' capital of the world, plus the fact that a regiment of the French Foreign Legion has its HQ there.

Otherwise, scenically, you could head south towards the Pyrenees maybe Ax Les Thermes, but that's 2 hours drive or so from both Toulouse and Carcassonne.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toulouse to Carcassone by car

I'd suggest a stopover a the lovely medieaval village of Mirepoix. Travelling on the A61 motorway from Toulouse you get off at exit 22 and take direction of Fanjeaux and Mirepoix. The drive along the D119 there is easy and lovely, with gorgeous views of the Pyrenees and a couple of nice picnic places on the way.

EE1
Toulouse, France
Level Contributor
132 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toulouse to Carcassone by car

hi is there a train from carcassone to toulouse? thanks

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toulouse to Carcassone by car

Yes, see www.tgv-europe.com or www.sncf.com for timetable.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toulouse to Carcassone by car

Hi, It is only an hour in the train from Toulouse to Carcassonne. If you have not already hired a car, I would suggest a train trip, easy, Then you hop on the bus and go up the hill to the castle. Just a funny little story, but years ago, my husband and I did this and we got off the bus and I suddenly realised that I had left my bag with my camera in it on the bus. Next minute the bus came down the hill and a passenger had alerted the driver to the fact that someone had left it and he turned around to come down the hill to see if he could find the owner. Can't see it happening in Sydney. It was such a wonderful thing. Enjoy your time there . Pottyabout Paris Sydney.

Ireland
Level Contributor
153 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toulouse to Carcassone by car

Nice little story, dont think it would happen in too many places nowadays. Think we will go by train now.

7. Re: Toulouse to Carcassone by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, October 10, 2012