We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lourdes to St. Jean Pied-De-Port

El Paso, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Lourdes to St. Jean Pied-De-Port

I am planning on walking the way of St. James this coming December, and would like to take a side trip to Lourdes on the way. Does anyone know the best way to get from Lourdes to St. Jean Pied-De-Port or Roncesvalles? I'd prefer to start from St. JPDP, but if it is less expensive, would be willing to start from Roncesvalles. Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,457 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lourdes to St. Jean Pied-De-Port

I can see three trains a day from St Jean to Lourdes, taking between 3h21 and 4h29, with a change at Bayonne. I cannot fund any trains from Roncesvalles.

The price will depend on how far ahead you book. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" in the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Alternatively, you could rent a car. By the fastest route, the distance would be under 100 miles, and the journey would take about 2.5 hours. See www.viamichelin.com

El Paso, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lourdes to St. Jean Pied-De-Port

what about the other way....from lourdes to St. Jean PDP? I keep trying to see a train table, but don't seem to be able to find them on eurrail websites.

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,457 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lourdes to St. Jean Pied-De-Port

Do not use Eurail or RailEurope: they are agencies that charge high fees and often do not list all the trains.

Use the tgv-europe web site referenced in my previous post. Many train times are not shown more than 3 months ahead.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,416 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lourdes to St. Jean Pied-De-Port

Eurail cannot sell you tickets for the local trains serving St Jean Pied de Port, so they don't list them. Follow the advice above.

The current train timetable Bayonne - St Jean Pied de Port can be downloaded from here

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Aquitaine/Tridion/62-BA…

You don't need to reserve seats between Bayonne and Lourdes but you might save a few € if you buy a ticket in advance. The trains between Bayonne and St Jean Pied de Port are local trains with a fixed price, so there is no point in advance purchase.

Roncevalles is of course in Spain. I am unaware of any public transport of any description across the mountains and the border into France and St Jean Pied de Port. So far as I know, apart from school buses, St Jean Pied de Port has one bus a week.

It's 27km according to my map from Roncevalles to St Jean Pied de Port, a good few hours walk up and down the mountains I should imagine.

5. Re: Lourdes to St. Jean Pied-De-Port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 12, 2014