We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 5 things to do whilst in south of France this août?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Top 5 things to do whilst in south of France this août?

In August my boyfriend and I will be in Mirepoix for a week. Joining us will be my two best friends (who currently live in London) and their boyfriends. 6 of us in total, all of whom are b/w 27-30 yrs, active, love wining/dining and culture!

Using Mirepoix as a base for the week, where should we go? What should we do? We've all done the Med. so anywhere else but there.

We're happy to drive near and far and would consider a night away from Mirepoix if worthy.

Any tips/suggestions would be a fantastic help.

Tress :)

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Top 5 things to do whilst in south of France this août?

You'll enjoy the jazz festival in Marciac. It's worth spending a night in the area which is rural and relaxed.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,065 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Top 5 things to do whilst in south of France this août?

Carcassonne summer festival :

Middle-Age tournaments everyday (at 3 pm and 4.45 pm) from July 7 to August 26 in the Cité.

Spanish "week" from August 23 to August 26 (dances, bullfights, concerts, Sevillan Mass at the Cathedral on August 25)

Organ concerts at Basilique St Nazaire on August 5, 12, 15, 19, 26.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,726 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Top 5 things to do whilst in south of France this août?

Yes, PVoyageuse, the actual church tower in Collioure (Notre Dame des Anges) is a former medieval lighthouse !

http://www.collioure.com/

france
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Top 5 things to do whilst in south of France this août?

pvoyageuse

I keep repeating this mistake to people because the church tower reminds me of a light house but you are absolutely correct, it is not a lighthouse it is the tower of the church.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,726 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Top 5 things to do whilst in south of France this août?

I can only repeat that you are both right PVoyageuse and Chichibella ! The tower that is the "signature" of Collioure is now the tower of the Church Notre Dame des Anges, but it has the shape of a lighthouse simply because it used to be a lighthouse in mediaval times.

Have a look on these website, that acknowledge this historical background:

tourinfos.com/gb/…p000173.htm

http://www.collioure.com/gb/dec_gb.htm

Midi Pyrenees
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Top 5 things to do whilst in south of France this août?

You should never find yourself stuck for something to do in the Ariege.

Mirepoix is a little gem, how did you get on there. try extreme ariege if it's action you are after.

Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Top 5 things to do whilst in south of France this août?

We went canoeing on the Tarn Gorge which was fantastic. It was about 120km from our base at Capestang (near Beziers). The water was crystal clear and it was a nice easy half day paddle for 16 Euro. I have never seen so many trout. There are a lot of canoeing opportunities in the south of France and its a beautiful way to explore the place. See this link to a number of canoe companies by river

france-diy.com.au/10.activities_canoe.htm.

We also drove up to the Pyrennees to Mont Louis following the Aude River which was spectacular as it cuts a very deep gorge in the mountains. Another interesting experience we had was a day in one of the many spas in the south. All sorts of mud and mineral baths and mysterious treatments. We were the only non French people there. We went to a place called Lamalou les Bains, but there are quite a few places in the Eastern Pyrenees. We went to do the Petit Train Jaune but they were on strike!! The Canal du Midi is really nice. You can hire bikes in some places and just ride along the tow paths under the shade of the plane trees. Really nice way to spend a day. Wine tasting is great in this area due to the huge number of vineyards many of which offer 'degustation'. Prices were surprisingly cheap and quality was pretty good. Eating out was really good. Get some recommendations from locals. So much to see. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Top 5 things to do whilst in south of France this août?

And if you go to Coullioure (lovely place, & so colourful!), there's the little train, which takes you high up amongst the vineyards, with fantastic views!

I also seem to remember a little lighthouse at the harbour.

Jo

19. Re: Top 5 things to do whilst in south of France this août?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, September 13, 2009