We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompidou Center Metz

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Pompidou Center Metz

The Pompidou Center in Metz just opened last month and is not at all overrun by mobs yet. I visited it last week and was completely charmed by the architecture and the works on display.

It is super convenient for anybody arriving by rail, because it is right behind the train station on a giant plot of land that is being transformed into a park.

I made a little photo report about what I saw:

www.anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompidou Center Metz

Thanks for this. I am hoping to get to Metz later this year (Christmas Market time) and may welcome somewhere under cover. Am I right that The Louvre is to open a branch in Lens, a town that gets even fewer visitors than Metz.

MD
Level Contributor
719 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompidou Center Metz

The woven straw hat motif is pretty effective.

Thanks for taking us off the beaten path again. Your photo essays are always enjoyable.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompidou Center Metz

Yes, railtraveller65, the Louvre is opening an annex in Lens... and also in Abu Dhabi.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
908 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompidou Center Metz

hi kerouac2,

great pictures! it makes me want to go! thank you for your Metz trip report.

as for the train info, we will be in paris Sept 11 and plan to go to Metz Sept 15. i have a month in advance. however, i know it will be a challenged to book it at TGV's website. i'll try to book it tonight. what paris code station should i use to enter in the "from" box and metz code station "to" box. if i take the 8am train; and return at say 2pm, is that too short visit but doable?

thanks.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompidou Center Metz

I think you have jumped posts. Just put Paris Est (or even just Paris) and Metz Ville (or just Metz) into the website. Station codes are just for the internal workings of the system, you don't actually need to use them.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pompidou Center Metz

Yes, you will leave from Paris-Est, and there is only one main line station in Metz.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
908 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pompidou Center Metz

sorry, i wasn't even aware of jumping posts. but thank you for your tip.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
908 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pompidou Center Metz

kerouac2, thanks for confirming. i really don't want to spend the whole day in metz, so you think 3-4 hrs in the museum is enough?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pompidou Center Metz

Yes, 3-4 hours is enough. There are just 3 huge galleries on 3 levels, which you do one after another, so getting through the museum is very straightforward with no backtracking.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
908 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pompidou Center Metz

i'm a shutter bug - usually take loads of pics - doing this might take me an extra hour, hahahah. the building really is interesting - would love to take several shots of it in every different angle.

btw, you took really excellent pics - WOW!!!

thanks for your replies.