We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Hohwald in Alsace to Metz - best route

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
677 posts
374 reviews
132 helpful votes
Le Hohwald in Alsace to Metz - best route

Hello,

A fairly vague question below .....

Wanting to avoid all toll roads and have an enjoyable drive to Metz from Le Hohwald.

I have researched beautiful villages on "France this Way", however unable to find information on villages to stop along the way.

Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

3 replies to this topic
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Le Hohwald in Alsace to Metz - best route

Do you have this web site? While it says Les Plus Beaux Villages, it is not the official site. It lists some of the official ones, but also other villages. I use it when researching our trips. It is in French but google translate helps.

http://www.villagesdefrance.fr/index.htm

You probably already have France voyage which gives regional foods and tourism ideas, but I will add it.

https:/…le-hohwald-commune-26567.htm

Basically, what we do is work out the route and then look up towns, villages and natural features on the way.

Good luck with your planning. Sounds an interesting trip. We are planning for 2020, but will probably be Burgundy , south and south west again- our favourite regions.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
677 posts
374 reviews
132 helpful votes
2. Re: Le Hohwald in Alsace to Metz - best route

Hello Phirhon,

Since sending my post above, have researched and found a route and small towns along the way which look interesting.

Le Hohwald - Luneville - Saint Nicolas de Port - Pont a Mousson - Metz

We try to avoid tolls and motorways and that way always seem to come across many unexplored areas.

We use Via Michelin Route Planner and although we find that the quoted times are not always correct, it does give alternate routes other than toll and motorways.

I wlll look at the sites you have given. We are very much looking forward to this holiday. I think the Jura will be amazing plus other areas we have not travelled.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
10 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Le Hohwald in Alsace to Metz - best route

We travel mostly on departmental roads - much more interesting. We did not pay any tolls last trip in 2018, but did travel briefly a few times on free autoroutes. We also use viamichelin and we like to allow time to stop because you never know what is around the corner.

We did spend a week in the Alsace near Strasbourg in 2006, but it was our first trip to France and we were still learning. So I am not familiar with the area you will be visiting other than the Jura.

Have fun.

Reply to: Le Hohwald in Alsace to Metz - best route
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted