We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WWII Memorial

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
WWII Memorial

Hello!

I’m headed to Paris in September and would like to make a trip to Metz for 1 day to visit where my Grandfather fought in WWII (378th). I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of where the Memorial is located and any other points of interest relating to the war?

Thank you!

4 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
14,847 posts
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: WWII Memorial

When you googled "WWII memorial metz 378th" what results did you get? It would help to know what you've already learned through your own independent research.

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
2. Re: WWII Memorial

I just found the location of a monument today which states it’s located at Alle de Desiremont. Is that accurate?

Aside from the American Cemetery, I’m having a difficult time finding additional information on other sites that would be notable while the 95th was there.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: WWII Memorial

This wikipedia article will give you basic information about the 1944 battle for Metz: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Metz

You shouldn't be surprised about the difficulty of obtaining information on the ground. Before the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-1 (which France lost and which effectively brought the modern state of Germany into existence), Metz had been a major French fortress city. As part of the post-war settlement, France had to cede to Germany not only its territories of Alsace and Lorraine (which, at least, had populations whose local language was Germanic in origin, albeit a long way from standard German) but also the fortress city of Metz which was unquestionably French in origin and which was included simply because of its fortresses. Metz then became a major headquarters of the German army. After the Great War, Metz was returned to France (together with Alsace and Lorraine), but following the German invasion of 1940, these areas were again annexed by German and the men forced to serve in the German army (on the Eastern front). If the Second War situation was "delicate" in most of France, it was especially so in these annexed areas and the aftermath, although well hidden, continues to create difficulties even today. No doubt the 95th fought bravely, they certainly eventually defeated a German force ordered to hold at all costs, but they were still another foreign army whose fighting methods would, as further north in Belgium, have caused unnecessary civilian deaths.

At the end of the day, your grandfather was probably welcomed as a liberator but if you go "digging" for further information do so with care and humility.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
14,847 posts
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: WWII Memorial

Is there a reason to believe the location of the monument is not accurate? When you googled "95th infantry division metz" what other info did you find?

Reply to: WWII Memorial
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted