We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uzes to Barcelona feasible for a day trip?

Which Uzes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boort, Australia
12 posts
Save Topic
Uzes to Barcelona feasible for a day trip?

We will be staying around Uzes for 10 days in October and we were wondering whether we could go by very fast train to Barcelona for a long day trip. We have a car to get to appropriate station. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,074 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uzes to Barcelona feasible for a day trip?

This is not really possible, Barcelona is more than 400 km from Uzes. It would take you at least 45 minutes to drive to Nimes, and the fast trains from there to Barcelona take around 3.5 hours each way.

Boort, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Uzes to Barcelona feasible for a day trip?

That sounds possible to me if the trains run from an early morning to late in the evening. After all you do nothing on the train but sit. I did say long day!

Boort, Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Uzes to Barcelona feasible for a day trip?

That sounds possible to me if the trains run from an early morning to late in the evening. After all you do nothing on the train but sit. I did say long day!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,074 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uzes to Barcelona feasible for a day trip?

The first train from Nimes to Barcelona leaves at 08.09, arriving Barcelona 11.27. The last train the other way leaves Barcelona 18.26, arriving Nimes 21.53.

So you would have some 7 hours in Barcelona, at the expense of sitting for 7 hours in a train and driving for 90 minutes. As you say, you do nothing on the train but sit, and to me that is a poor use of precious holiday time. But of course it is your decision.

For the best prices, book as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, at www.capitainetrain.com

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Uzes to Barcelona feasible for a day trip?

One other thing is that it is not a very scenic journey. You do pass through the world's largest vineyard but rows of vines pall after a time.

Ed

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,529 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uzes to Barcelona feasible for a day trip?

And there are several very long tunnels.

There may be more trains in October as they are adding the present introductory service during the course of the summer.

But I agree it is very long way and a huge expense for a day trip. Why not stay a night in Barcelona and make the most of the trip?

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
11,912 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uzes to Barcelona feasible for a day trip?

Exactly my thought, cubsur - 1 night in Barcelona could add up to a pleasant trip, whereas a day trip seems to use up a lot of holiday for small benefit.

However, much as it definitely wouldn't be what many of us would wish to do, it's the OP's choice. It may be that Barcelona is a dream, although s/he will love Uzès and the area too.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,074 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uzes to Barcelona feasible for a day trip?

Agreed. We once spent a week just outside Uzès, and we had a marvellous time exploring the area from Nîmes to Gordes.

9. Re: Uzes to Barcelona feasible for a day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, March 07, 2015