We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Uzes with two kids

n. ireland
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Things to do in Uzes with two kids

Hi

We are hiring an apartment in Uzes for six days from the 10th - 16th July and I am trying to organize a very loose itinerary of things to do to keep the kids entertained. They are 12 and 9 and love outdoor activities.

I had planned one day canoeing the pont du gard and was thinking of taking them to Avignon on Bastille day, if I am not mistaken there is a firework display there?

What other outings can you suggest, bike hire, swimming etc. I was thinking maybe driving to the coast for a day?

However dont want to spend my entire holiday driving,

All suggestion welcome.

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
10 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Things to do in Uzes with two kids

Drive down to the coast via Sommieres. Sommieres night market Wednesday. Sommieres is a similar market town to Uzes, but not as restored .

On the coast, visit L'Espiguette for sand, Grande Motte for attractions, Grau de Roi for seafood, Aigues Mortes for history.

Check out what is on nearby : the-languedoc-page.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php…

Think of a day in the hills. Perhaps take the steam train from Anduze to the Bambouseraie or St Jean.

Thursday nights are music / market nights in Nimes.

You'll probably have good fireworks in Uzes without having to drive and park. Uzes tourist office : www.uzes-tourisme.com/sitegb/index.html

I think you'll have plenty to do !

Peter

n. ireland
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Things to do in Uzes with two kids

Thanks Pete, didnt fancy trying to park the car in Avignon so good to know there might be something on in Uzes. I took the kids to the bastille day fireworks in Saumur in the loire valley two years ago and they loved it.

Have you any more information about the steam train, it sounds like their kind of thing.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
3. Re: Things to do in Uzes with two kids

Google is your friend - www.citev.com/ for information

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
17,171 posts
159 reviews
140 helpful votes
4. Re: Things to do in Uzes with two kids

I imagine you'll hire canoes at Collias, which is also a good place to have a picnic and a walk along the River Gardon. Lots of good picnic spots at the Pont du Gard, too. Parking has become paying at the car park at Collias, and costs 10 euros at the PdG. There are a few things for children to do while you're at the PdG, around the info centre, and a model showing the viaduct from Uzes onwards.

You can drive down to the valley of the River Eure, just outside Uzès on the road to Bagnols . Near the car park down there you'll see the source of the spring from which water was taken by the viaduct to Nimes (and we still drink it today!). They might also be interested in the very high marks showing where floods reached, the latest in 2002. If you take a picnic, it's a pleasant walk along the valley bottom, passing parts of the viaduct, and along the river. There's also plenty of grass for games; Sundays are busy down there, as it's the green lung of the town.

You can also walk down to the valley, to save driving; it's quite steep, not well kept, and a very steep climb back!. There are paths from near the cathedral and also from near the road to Bagnols; there are a few rides for small children, an outdoor swimming pool (around €2.50 per adult, €1.50 per child) and tennis courts nearby.

There's bike hire in the centre of Uzès, at Paysan, Avenue General Vincent,

and a bike hire place at nearby St Quentin:

http://www.villagevelo.org/

Another is:

…wordpress.com/location-velo-uzes-rent-a-bik…

but they are fairly new, and I don't know if they have children's bikes.

Visiting the market at St Jean du Gard on a Tuesday morning is a good outing, followed by a ride on the steam train and a visit to Anduze or the Bambousseraie, as suggested by mpprh.

There's a national stud farm just outside Uzès, which conducts guided visits, and there's a nearby venue for carriage rides.

The Uzès fireworks for 14th July are very good for a small place. If you need to drive, get parked early, as all the car parks fill up, as do the streets all around. It takes place on the playing fields below Avenue de la Gare and the road approaching Uzès, by the fountain roundabout at the end of the esplanade, opposite the Shoppi supermarket. The car park opposite is for firework viewing only; you look down on to it all. I seem to remember they were meant to start around 21.00 last year, but are always late. Check times with the tourist office.

There's very useful town guidebook you can ask for while visiting the tourist office for a map of the town.

Don't forget the small Wednesday local produce market, and the very large one on Saturdays. There's a potters market at St Quentin from 11th to 14th, and a flea market on 13th and 14th. The Haribo museum is a major atttraction, just outside town. I'm sure you'll find you don't have enough days in which to see and do everything, and maybe you'll need to return!

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
10 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: Things to do in Uzes with two kids

Just to say that during the winter, the local paper had an article about the steam train having financial problems and needing a grant.

I've heard no more, but the Uzes or Anduze tourist office will be able to give you the best info.

Anduze is worth a trip anyway. It has a very well preserved medieval centre and is the stepping stone to the Cevennes.

I'd overlooked Museum 1900 in Arpaillargues - http://www.moulin-de-chalier.fr .

It is an eccentric collection of objects including toys, model railways, steam trains, historic farming equipment, historic artisans workshops, clothes, tractors, motorcycles etc etc . There is also a working oil mill on the site.

Couple it with Haribo museum and it will easily take 1 day.

Peter

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
17,171 posts
159 reviews
140 helpful votes
6. Re: Things to do in Uzes with two kids

Visitors went on the steam train fairly recently; booking here:

www.citev.com/index.php/billetterie/index.php

If you don't book ahead, I'd suggest you make the station your first stop on arrival at St Jean, as it's very popular.

The caves of Trabuc might also be an interesting visit while in the area around St Jean:

http://www.grotte-de-trabuc.com/

The museum at Arpaillargues has very interesting collections; if you get a wet day, it's a good standby; Haribo gets packed out totally if it's wet!

n. ireland
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Things to do in Uzes with two kids

Hi guys thanks for all your wonderful suggestions. I know there is so much to do in the area, I just wanted to have a very rough idea of what we would do each day instead of wakin up every morning and looking at each other thinking what will we do today and then taking so long to decide we end up do nothing.

8. Re: Things to do in Uzes with two kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 21, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Uzes