We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Parris to Uzes

Hamilton & Waikato...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
Train from Parris to Uzes

Could someone please advise a web site to get me on the train (slow prefered ) from Paris to the nearest station to Uzes.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
25,505 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Train from Parris to Uzes

The station nearest to Uzès is Nîmes. From Nîmes you'll need to take the bus (multiple buses each day) to reach Uzès.

www.voyages-sncf.com (in French only)

www.tgv-europe.com

Hamilton & Waikato...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Train from Parris to Uzes

Thank you Sarastro. Would i need to book or just rock up on the day

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
103,435 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
3. Re: Train from Parris to Uzes

If you book in advance, you may get a cheaper rate. You can book in English at the tgv-europe site mentioned above.

Hamilton & Waikato...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Train from Parris to Uzes

Thanks Guys

Reading my LP, Avigion seems to have more to look at, medieval architecture etc. I have a night to spare before i book into my Uze,s accomodation.

Is the TGV from Paris to Avigion direct. It apears in my LP the Avigion is off a direct line, yet the TVG shedule shows a daily service from Paris. Does this nessitate a train change? and is Nimmes not as dull as it appears in the LP? ( Lonley Planet )

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,171 posts
63 reviews
77 helpful votes
5. Re: Train from Parris to Uzes

The TGV is the very fast train direct from Paris to just outside Avignon. The local train station is in a different place.The walled area of Avignon is quite historic with the Popes Palace, lovely gardens and squares and the Benezet Bridge, or what is left of it.

Nimes is a lovely town with a number of Roman buildings including an arena, smaller than Avignon but quite charming.

Uzes is a charming town built around a central arcaded square where they hold the market. It has the palace of the duchy, a small ruined castle, a delightful tower with windows and makes a great base for driving to see all over Provence. The Pont du Gard is very close.

Of the three I prefer Uzes as a place to stay.

Hamilton & Waikato...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Train from Parris to Uzes

Thanks Lynn,

Viewing your responce i might go straight to Nimes as per Sydneynicks advise and maybe bus to Avignon when i am settled in Uze.

I read Oh La La another French Romp by Ann Richard and am keen to look at St Maximin and surrounding villages.Can you recomend a good cafe in Uze. After Uze its the train to Barcalona then ferry to Majorica.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,171 posts
63 reviews
77 helpful votes
7. Re: Train from Parris to Uzes

We popped back into Uzes on our trip last year and all the cafes seemed different, so really no current advice on this. However, French cafes have menus posted outside and provided the hum from inside is good, you should do OK. Just follow the rules, don't eat in places that have touts asking you in, don't eat at places right in front of a major tourist attraction, don't eat in places with the menu in multiple languages. The French eat later than we do, so any place full at 7.00pm is likely to be full of tourists.

Ask a local.

Hamilton & Waikato...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Train from Parris to Uzes

Thanks Lynn

Great advise. I knew i would regret not concentrating at school during French Lessons.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
25,505 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
9. Re: Train from Parris to Uzes

There is good bus service from either Nîmes or Avignon to Uzès. I originally recommended Nîmes as it is closer to Uzès but there is regular bus service to Avignon through Pont de Gard (I think it's bus 106).

While having a car can offer time scheduling efficiencies, taking the bus to either Avignon or Nîmes can open access to a great variety of destination options. Through Nîmes you can even take the train to the beach (le Grau du Roi).

Hamilton & Waikato...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
10. Re: Train from Parris to Uzes

Thank you Sarastro.

Please advise the best way to get from Uzes to Le Grau Du Roi and approx the travel time.In your opinon

is the beach even worth the visit considering after Uzes i am going to Majorica. I note from a previous blog it has a substantial salt works. I can see that here.Unless it has a significant specific attraction i would prefer to visit around Uzes.

I am sure after i have completed this trip i am going to look back at this blog and think, what stupid questions to ask.

Get answers to your questions about Uzes