We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uzes or St. Remy?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
256 posts
Uzes or St. Remy?

Hello,

I know I may be comparing apples and oranges but I'm actually getting down to the most important decisions of my 3-week trip to France (2 weeks in the South).

I know that Uzes in the Gard region of Languedoc-Rousillon and that St. Remy is in the Provence-Alpes-Maritime-Cote d'Azur region and that (2) they're both considered villages or small towns.

My question is the following:

Which is less touristy? Which is less chichi (chic) or pretentious?

I enjoy comfort but I find chic uncomfortable. (I guess I could go with Arles, which is not a village or small town).

Forty years ago when I was living in San Francisco, i went to Sausolito 20-30 miles south. I was really turned by the ambiance (boutique-to-boutique-to-health-spa-to-classy-restaurant).

I am wondering what someone who has spent time in both would say about the comparative merits (and shortcomings) of the two.

Thanks.

5 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
18,988 posts
21 reviews
81 helpful votes
1. Re: Uzes or St. Remy?

I've been to both, but prefer Uzes.

Have been to St. Remy once and Uzes several times.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
256 posts
2. Re: Uzes or St. Remy?

Thanks.

That seems to be the consensus.

I have an interest in Van Gogh's paintings with the Rhone as backgrop, which he did in Arles, but he did many paintings in San Remy during the few months he was there.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Uzes or St. Remy?

Uzes, then, most definitely. We own a home just outside the town and it was the "realness" of it that attracted us at the start.

That said, there are a lot of wonderful things about St. Remy. Van Gogh, Les Antiques and Glannum, and Les Baux (visit in the morning or evening to avoid the crowds), not to miss mentioning the Carriers de Lumieres.

Uzes is just country living. You won't find T-shirt shops. It's the real thing. Our entertainment often consists of picking a small village nearby to stroll through in the evening. It can't compete with St. Remy when it comes to "sights" (other than the nearby Post du Gard.) But Uzes is just special. There's countryside. And it's beautiful.

Even though Uzes has been "discovered," it has kept its soul.

Have a look at Frenchstonesbook.com. Photos, excursions and such.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
62 reviews
62 helpful votes
4. Re: Uzes or St. Remy?

St Remy has a lot of expensive shops and rich people who go there. That doens't mean just walking around is going to be that pretentious. I think both have about one museum or so.

Neither one is remotely a village by my terms, which is a very small place with only a few shops. I guess I don't know any villages with museums and a ducal palace.

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
10 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: Uzes or St. Remy?

I'd say Uzes is more like Sausalito

Reply to: Uzes or St. Remy?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Uzes