We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains - Lyon to Uzes, Uzes to Barcelona

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
Trains - Lyon to Uzes, Uzes to Barcelona

Hello! We are traveling in December to Lyon, then going by train to Uzes before heading to Barcelona. Our plan is to rent a car for our stay in Uzes. Which city/TGV station should we travel to before renting a car and heading to Uzes? And which city/TGV station near Uzes has direct fast trains to Barcelona? I have tried the websites but thought I'd seek your advice - some stations are tough to navigate, and we will be dealing with a rental car both arriving and departing. Many thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
102,992 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
1. Re: Trains - Lyon to Uzes, Uzes to Barcelona

Nimes, Montpellier and Avignon have direct fast trains to Barcelona. I suggest you pick up and drop off at Avignon TGV station, which is well outside the city and a major centre for car rentals. In Nimes and Montpellier, you would have to navigate through the city to get to the train station.

For the best prices on the fast trains, book as far ahead as possible. Tickets usually go on sale 3 months before travel (often earlier for summer travel), and the cheapest tickets can sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer. You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, at https://en.oui.sncf/en (taking care not to change the default country setting) or www.trainline.eu

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
592 posts
45 reviews
27 helpful votes
2. Re: Trains - Lyon to Uzes, Uzes to Barcelona

Agree with sydneynick; Avignon TGV is easy for renting/returning car. Much better than Nimes. However, if traveling in high season, make sure to allow plenty of time to return the car. I have never had to wait, but friends had to stand in long line at rental office and missed their train.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
102,992 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
3. Re: Trains - Lyon to Uzes, Uzes to Barcelona

That is a good point. I had to stand in line for quite a while when I picked up at Avignon TGV a few years ago.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Trains - Lyon to Uzes, Uzes to Barcelona

Thank you so much! I looked at a map and see exactly what you are talking about. Avignon it is! And while I'm at it, anyone have a preferred rental car agency?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18,897 posts
21 reviews
81 helpful votes
5. Re: Trains - Lyon to Uzes, Uzes to Barcelona

I just picked up a car to day at the Aix TGV, rented from Alamo using Costco Travel. It was the best car pickup experience I have ever had. No hard sell on upgrades and they had agents in the lot to go over any existing damages to the car with you. And with Costco you get a free second driver. Am keeping my fingers crossed that the drop off goes as smoothly.

Otherwise I am a huge AutoEurope fan and would recommend them.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Trains - Lyon to Uzes, Uzes to Barcelona

Thank you F1racegirl, much appreciated!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
592 posts
45 reviews
27 helpful votes
7. Re: Trains - Lyon to Uzes, Uzes to Barcelona

I've always used AutoEurope and have been very happy with them. A few weeks ago we had a very easy pick up in Vannes (Brittany) through them with Europecar. There was no hardsell, and someone looked over the car and made notes of scratches,dings, etc., before we left the lot.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Trains - Lyon to Uzes, Uzes to Barcelona

Thank you all! These forum assists are the best thanks to you.

Reply to: Trains - Lyon to Uzes, Uzes to Barcelona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Uzes