We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car drop off at Perpignan railway station

austin, tx
Level Contributor
10 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
rental car drop off at Perpignan railway station

Haven't booked it yet, but I'll be renting a car in Bordeaux and need to drop it off at or near the Perpignan railway station during regular car rental agency hours. I've only ever returned rental cars to airports, never a railway station. Is the process similar?

I have not been able to find any detailed return information on the car rental websites. Also, looking at Hertz on Google Maps/Street View for example, the office appears to be a storefront along avenue Général de Gaulle near the station, but with no obvious place to park - looks like there is some street parking, but no designated parking lot or anything like that. Just wondering where I would park to return a car to Hertz, or any other agency with offices at or near the station.

One final question - how long before my train leave should I plan to arrive to drop off the car?

Thanks!

Steve

Perpignan, France
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car drop off at Perpignan railway station

If you want to drop your car avenue du Général de Gaulle, you can park on the street on one of the "arrêt minute" parking place. None of the car rental agencies have a designated parking lot in the city. However there is a public parking lot (paying) on the TGV side of the station, next to Quality Hotel.

" how long before my train leave should I plan to arrive to drop off the car?"

When does your train leave and where will you be coming from? Rush hours are at around 9 am, noon, 5 to 6 pm. Count 5 minutes to walk to the station, 10 if you have a lot of luggage.

austin, tx
Level Contributor
10 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car drop off at Perpignan railway station

Thank you Pvoyageuse!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
105 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car drop off at Perpignan railway station

Can I ask who you plan to rent your car with? We are doing the opposite of you, taking a train from Barcelona to Perpignan then renting a car to drive around the South of France and ultimately dropping it off in Bordeux. I have found sometimes getting the opinion of another American is helpful :)

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car drop off at Perpignan railway station

I rented from Sixt which was next door to Hertz on de Gaulle just 2-3 blocks from the station. No problem at all with getting the car or with the car itself. The return a week later was problematic, however, as the office was unexpectedly closed when we arrived at 11:00 a.m. Legal parking was impossible to find and we had a noon train to catch. So there was nothing to do but leave the car parked illegally in the bus stop out front, write a note and drop it and the keys through the slot in the office door. Later I called Sixt from the train and was told it was all ok.

austin, tx
Level Contributor
10 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car drop off at Perpignan railway station

We plan to rent with Avis, mostly because it appears they are located inside the parking garage at the railway station. They list the address/location as:

Gare TGV Parking Effia

Centre Del Mon Niveau -1

Perpignan, 66000 , FR

Hope that helps! Have a great trip!

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental car drop off at Perpignan railway station

That's correct about Avis. I had forgotten that. That's the way go if a return is to be made in Perpignan.

Edited: 11:13 am, April 13, 2015
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
105 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental car drop off at Perpignan railway station

Thank you both for your advice :)

Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental car drop off at Perpignan railway station

I'm glad I bumped into this thread.

I'm dropping a europcar (Kemwel) rental at their Perpignan train station location and noticed that it is at the TGV station, not the "regular" station which is across the tracks and where we need to be. The map shows what appears to be a tunnel or bridge over the tracks from one station to the other. Can anyone confirm this and is it an easy walk from one gare to the other?

Perpignan, France
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental car drop off at Perpignan railway station

It is a very easy walk and it takes about 2 minutes to go from one side to the other.

Enter the TGV station, take the escalator (to your left after the hall) down to a passageway leading you directly to the old station. At the end of the passageway, there is an escalator to bring you back to ground level again.

Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental car drop off at Perpignan railway station

Perfect. Thanks a million!

Get answers to your questions about Perpignan