We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips from perpignan

Queensland Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
day trips from perpignan

Hi....

We will be staying in Perpignan from May 20 on for a few weeks. Anywhere close by we should not miss out on. We will have car. Also any good restaurants...recommend away.

Thanks...Ann Rickard

western
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips from perpignan

excitedannie: There's a lot to do using Perpignan as a base.... the following are just some ideas off the top of my head, though I'm sure others will be able to come up with more.....

.... Carcassonne

.... Toulouse

.... Albi

.... Narbonne

.... Roquefort

.... Andorra (in the Pyrenées, between France & Spain)

.... Barcelona (Spain) (though probably a 2-day trip)

.... Montpellier (and environs)

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips from perpignan

Annie, I'm going to take another view, that is that sometimes you will not want to travel too far and also that there is much to see other than towns. So here are just a few ideas.

1) A train journey into the Pyrenees from Perpignan. You can change at Villefranche-Vernet-les-Bains into a narrow gauge train which will take you to Font Romeu, Bourg-Madam and La Tour de Carol. Superb scenery!

2) A visit to the beaches. There are plenty to choose from within about 10-25 miles of Perpignan. Mainly are somewhat lacking in character but nevertheless have excellent sand and bathing.

3) A trip into Spain along the coast. Once past the very busy Argeles the villages become prettier, Colliure, Port Vendres, Banyuls-sur-Mer and Cerebere are all worth a visit. The road continues into Spain giving great views of the first Spanish town, Port Bou, and the villages further along the coast are quiet and picturesque.

4) A short trip to Gorges de la Fou, close to Arles-sur-Tech. You can continue into the mountains via the Col d'Ares into Spain for a longer trip.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,258 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips from perpignan

I too would recommend the 'Little Yellow Train' up into the mountains. Did that a few years ago and a very good day out it was too with all that fresh air and stuff. I don't if know if still has an open car for tourists.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,258 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips from perpignan

I too would recommend the 'Little Yellow Train' up into the mountains. Did that a few years ago and a very good day out it was too with all that fresh air and stuff. I don't if know if still has an open car for tourists.

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips from perpignan

You must try to go to Collioure! It's a quaint little village at the sea about 30 minutes from Perpignan on the train (get the Cerbere train I think!)...it's a gem!

Queensland Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips from perpignan

Thanks so much for those great suggestions - I've noted them all and will do all the trips/train rides as suggested. Any really good restaurants in Perpignan.

Also...going to Paris for a few days. Would love some recommendations for atmospheric little bistros...don't mind little off street places...hate the big over-priced establishments. Want the real Parisan thing.

Anyone out there with some really good recommendations.

excitedannie