We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona to Narbonne by train

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona to Narbonne by train

We are trying to go from Barcelona to Narbonne and back on May 6, 2013 and returning May 9, 2013. I went to the French rail website (SNCF) to book. When I went it appears that you can only pick up the tickets in France. QUESTION 1: Is this correct?

Then I went to the Spanish site (Renfe) but have heard that their system is no good and they often mess things up, so decided not to go that route. QUESTION 2: Is this correct

Finally I went to Rail Europe and the computer could not find a trip. QUESTION 3: How can this be so?

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is for our honeymoon. THANKS!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,250 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona to Narbonne by train

1. Renfe and SNCF do not have the technology to be able to issue e-tickets for the other's trains. If you want to get e-tickets, you will have to make separate bookings for the Spanish and French parts of the journey. Or book with Renfe and pick up tickets.

2. The Renfe system works fine: just take your time. If you have problems, go to the Spain forum and read the Top Question about buying online.

3. RailEurope does not run any trains. It is just an agency that re-sells train tickets with a high markup. Quite often it does not list all the trains.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,258 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona to Narbonne by train

I've noticed that, for those dates, RENFE is currently only offering tickets for the daily TALGO train along the old line to Narbonne.

In the train travel forum there is a long discussion about the yes/no/maybe introduction of direct Barcelona - Narbonne - Paris trains along the new high speed line at the end of this month. The train companies apparently still do not know if they can run these new trains, therefore tickets are not on sale.

If you have plenty of time, the Barcelona - Narbonne journey can be done on slow local trains changing trains at the border town of Cerbère. Tickets for these trains cannot be booked on line, there are no reservations, and are fairly cheap. But it's slow. In the reverse direction the change from French to Spanish trains is made at Portbou. Trains run about every two hours.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona to Narbonne by train

I just did a dummy booking on www.tgv-europe.com and it works. Cheapest ticket is € 32.20 via the usual Figueres-Vilafant route. Train leaves Barcelona at 9.05 am, arrives Narbonne at 11.24 am.

or leaves at 4.15pm, arrives Narbonne at 6.24 pm

I don't see where the problem is and why the OP can't book her tickets with Renfe and pick them up in Barcelona.

As long as the new direct line Barcelona to Paris is not introduced, the old timetable remains valid i.e. 2 TGV a day from Barcelona to France via Figueres-Vilafant and 1 Talgo a day. Plus the very slow local trains.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,084 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona to Narbonne by train

I found the same result as Pvoyaguese on TGV Europe.

Choose "Antarctic" as your ticket collection country in order to avoid being routed to Rail Europe, and uncheck the "direct trains" box.

Many have been reporting problems with using US issued credit cards on TGV Europe. I was able to use my Amex card, others have had success with Paypal when that is offered as a payment option. As an alternative you can book on www.capitainetrain.com , or www.loco2.com .

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona to Narbonne by train

"If you want to get e-tickets, you will have to make separate bookings for the Spanish and French parts of the journey."

How could you do that? The TGV does not stop between Figueres, Spain and Perpignan, France - 50 km betwee the two cities.

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona to Narbonne by train

I tried to buy tickets on the TGV page and they will only mail the tickets it appears. And if I say I am from America it sends me to Rail Europe. Do you think that if I wait until I get to Spain (five days before the trip to Narbonne) to purchase the tickets I will be alright? Thanks everyone for all your help!

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona to Narbonne by train

Also, www.loco2.com will only ship these tickets and can only ship to the UK.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,084 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelona to Narbonne by train

I think I've figured it out. If you only book Figueres to Narbonne on TGV Europe you then have the option to print the ticket at home. You can then book the corresponding Barcelona to Figueres train on Renfe. Be sure to choose the Spanish AVE train to Figueres Vilafant.

Then do the same separately to book your return. By booking now the tickets will be cheaper,and you'll have guaranteed seats.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,250 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelona to Narbonne by train

Which is pretty much what I said in point (1) of reply#1. A good circular thread!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,084 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelona to Narbonne by train

Yes you did Nick. And I did read that. Just didn't remember when I posted above. Hopefully th OP was able to get her tickets.