We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday south France

Which Nimes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rainham, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Family holiday south France

Hi everyone,

I am planning a holiday to south of France with my family of 4 ( 2 adults and 2 children age 5&3) lasting approx 7 days in May. We are planning to drive down after taking the ferry at Dover . The problem is I have not driven around France much- done city breaks to Paris, Lyon, Nice( used public transport). We would like to see the area and would be grateful for any advice regarding holiday planning:

Is it too ambitious to travel by car from Calais ?

What areas would you suggest we concentrate- a bit of history and scenic locales/ villages would be great ?

Would it be a good idea to book a cottage and drive around the area- if so where should I book a cottage to make the most ( I am acutely aware that France is a large country and at best I may be lucky to cover a province!). Any suggestions for websites to book cottages?

Regarding food would vegetarians have limited options while travelling into villages?( we had no problems in the cities).

Any suggestion would be great, thanks.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday south France

May...as in next month?

Rainham, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holiday south France

Yes may 2013

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday south France

Calais to Nimes is 950 to 1000 km depending on route. Fastest is via Lyon avoiding rush hours and following the river (the ring road is long and adds to the time). Most picturesque is A75 (which is free) via Orleans and Millau bridge. Limiting stops to a minimum with no hold ups will allow a best time around 9 hrs if you cruise at the speed limit.

As you have a car I would stay mid way from the Cevennes to the coast in one of the smaller towns - research Calvisson, Sommieres, etc Choosing a location with good access to the A9 allows you to do day trips to Provence and down to the Spanish border as well as Cevennes, Camargue and local beaches .

Most restaurants have a vegetarian option these days.

You can book holiday cottages via :

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g187149-Revi…

http://www.leboncoin.fr/

http://www.gites-de-france.com/

ot-sommieres.fr/file/…202013.pdf

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,389 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holiday south France

Much as I love the area, I think it's too far in so short a time with young children. We do this drive a number of times each year with one overnight stop, but with young children I would build in two overnight stops.

Maybe think of staying in Normandy or in Brittany; lots to do and see and more time available to spend there as you won't be driving for so long.

scotland
Level Contributor
208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family holiday south France

Hi,

I too have done this trip with my son when he was younger, and alone more recently, and with friends on a motorcycle holiday.

Driving the whole way without an overnight stay is a long haul and I'd not reccomend it with kids. Having one overnight stay eases strain, but means that 4 days of your break are mostly spent driving long distances.

When I went with friends, we actually had 2 overnight stays so that we could stay fresh, go out to dinner and travel some of the non-motorway roads to see the country. We had just over 3 weeks so this was fine. The other trips required motorway and there is not a huge amount to see.

Having driven all over France with and without family, we ended up concluding that driving holidays with family took 2 forms for us...fly somewhere and hire a car, or drive somewhere nearer, like north to central France max. For me, on a family holiday, a day driving is a day lost.

Is it too late to change plans? Maybe experiment with the sail/drive by starting with a holiday to say Britanny, or even down to eurodisney? I think 4 days driving might spoil the joy of a 7 day break.

Rainham, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family holiday south France

Thanks for the tips everyone - clearly I will need to consider the distances and make the final decision in a day or two as I have not made any bookings yet!

Edited: 4:20 pm, April 30, 2013
Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family holiday south France

If you are thinking flydrive, you have plenty of cheap flight connections to NW UK.

Check out :

Cheap rental cars : http://www.rentalcars.com/

Routes : the-languedoc-page.com/tourism/languedoc-tou…

Rainham, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family holiday south France

Went to Brittany - drove down to Dover took the ferry and then via Redon reached La rouche Bernard . Visited a number of areas in Brittany and Normandy . I guess looking at the amount of driving I may opt for fly drive for visit to south of France . Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

9. Re: Family holiday south France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 03, 2014