We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capestang on the Canal du Midi

Darwin Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Capestang on the Canal du Midi

We are looking at staying in Capestang in September next year. Is anyone familiar with this village?

Languedoc, FRANCE
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capestang on the Canal du Midi

I live here. What would you like to know? It is a great location for visiting a wide area, 30 mins from sea, mountains, Narbonne, Beziers - a but further to Montpellier, Carcassonne, Perpignan and Spain.

We love it here.

Languedoc, FRANCE
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capestang on the Canal du Midi

I live here. What would you like to know? It is a great location for visiting a wide area, 30 mins from sea, mountains, Narbonne, Beziers - a but further to Montpellier, Carcassonne, Perpignan and Spain.

We love it here.

Darwin Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Capestang on the Canal du Midi

Thanks for replying.

What is there in the way of restaurants, cafes?

Is there the usual range of shops and services (boulangerie, bouchiere, pharmacie, tabac, ATM etc?

Where is the nearest bicycle hire operator (want to cylcle the towpaths)?

Is there anywhere nearby that hires out boats on the Canal du Midi for a day?

Is parking an issue as we will be in several vehicles and our accommodation may not necessarily have enough parking?

Thanks Matt

Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capestang on the Canal du Midi

If you do stay in capestang, there is a GREAT tiny restaurant on the banks of the canal and lost in the vineyards. It's called the Pourquoi Pas restaurant (04 67 93 37 94) and is held by british people. The dinning experience is fantastic... make a reservation if you plan on going for dinner, the only seat about 16 people per night and is almost always sold-out.

Level Contributor
38 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capestang on the Canal du Midi

You'll have no problem parking in capestang. the village has several bakeries and small shops. Just don't expect to go shopping for clothes or luxury items in Capestang. If you make it to Béziers, try and have dinner (or better yet stay at) La Chamberte in Villeneuve les Beziers. Their food is stunning. Villeneuve is also along the canal.

Bakewell
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capestang on the Canal du Midi

I am organising a cycling trip along theCanal du Midi next May for 11 cyclists and I too want to stay in Capestang. I am struggling to find accommodation listed on the Internet that gives me an idea of what faclities it has, what it is like , etc

I have identified Le Relais Bleu and Hotel Franche Comte - are either of these hotels OK to stay at is anyone aware of photos etc that will give ma an idea of what they look like, etc. Is there anything else that I should be looking at?

7. Re: Capestang on the Canal du Midi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, August 23, 2009