We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montpellier on my own

Which Montpellier hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
129 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Montpellier on my own

Hello,

We will be in Montpellier for the last week of February. My husband will be attending a conference in the day, and I will be on my own until dinner time. Would anyone have any recommendations on what I could do by myself while there? I'll probably visit a couple of the museums, but would be interested in hearing others recommendations. Also, are there any good cafes where it wouldn't be awkward to go to alone? Are there any day trips or tours that would be interesting? Thanks for everyone's help!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,035 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montpellier on my own

There is plenty to do for one day in Montpellier: shopping, restaurants for lunch, and cafés. The Office de Tourisme is located at the city center and can provide you will many more options:

http://www.ot-montpellier.fr/en/

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,655 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montpellier on my own

I had a very nice solo lunch at Au Bonheur des Tartes. In fact, my avatar is a photo of the duck I had there. You may want to make a reservation, since it's a small place. I also took a half-day trip to Nimes. It's only 30 minutes away by train.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montpellier on my own

Aigues Mortes is an amazing place to visit:

http://www.ot-aiguesmortes.fr/en/

We were there in our own car quite a number of years ago, but I understand it is possible to reach Aigues Mortes via train from Nimes. Or there is a limited bus service from Montpellier. Check this website for the bus timetables (you would want bus line 106):

herault-transport.fr/…pzs

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montpellier on my own

I am also a single lady travelling in France. Where would be the best area in Montpellier to look for a hotel? I'm guessing the old town? I'll have three nights, basically two full days, love walking around French towns, gardens and parks; eating, and drinking apéros in great restaurants; visiting good museums and art galleries. Would rather not have the hassle of buses to go anywhere, unless it's fantastic!

Any recommendations? For places to visit or to stay in? Have looked at staying at the Hotel du Palais which looks lovely, close to the Peyrou Gardens and the Place de la Canorgue. There's an airbnb studio in rue des Anthimes. Is that far out? This is not until August…...

Sydney
Level Contributor
129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montpellier on my own

Hi Lindalou022! We stayed at the CITADINES ANTIGONE MONTPELLIER, which is a really short walk through the mall to get to the old city (you will arrive close to place de la comédie, where there is also a tourist information office). On Wednesday there was a market in the square that you walk through on your way to the mall, which was nice to see. It's not a beautiful historic building, but the hotel staff are helpful and it is a reasonable price. There is also a market and a couple restaurants across the street, as well a the tram stops right in front of the hotel.

If there are any particular restaurants you want to try, I would recommend booking in advance, as there were about ten I was hoping to go to, but couldn't because they were booked for the whole week. There were also a couple tours I was hoping to go on, but were also booked.

If you love coffee, I would recommend going to Coffee Club. The coffee is amazing and it is a cute little place to take a break. We had a wonderful lunch at Au Bonheur des Tartes - fabulous food and also a quaint and interesting place. Definitely try the tarts! Our best dinner was at l'alliance des plaisirs - I would recommend trying this place. We also found a great little wine bar that we visited daily - I can't remember the name, but can find it if you are interested. The wine in the region surrounding Montpellier is excellent!

There is also a gourmet food tour in the old city. I never tried this because I didn't find it until the last minute. http://southernfranceluxury.com/services/

Hope you have a great time! This is a beautiful city filled with friendly people! We hope to go back one day.

6. Re: Montpellier on my own

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:11 am, March 06, 2015
7. Re: Montpellier on my own

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:11 am, March 06, 2015
Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
803 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montpellier on my own

The IBIS in the centre close to Place de La Comedie is very convenient

9. Re: Montpellier on my own

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 09, 2015