We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montpellier only good as base or nice in itself?? 3days..

Which Montpellier hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Montpellier only good as base or nice in itself?? 3days..

In the forum topics on Montpellier i only see recommendations on trips you can take when based in Montpellier. I'm getting a flight deal to Montpellier and just want to spend 3 nights there and surrounding but not travel out. Is it nice enough?? I like cozy streets, markets, lively terraces, old authentic buildings, castles... Maybe only a winetour outside the city 1 afternoon.

Other option on flight deal is Toulon...but cant find much doesn't seem nice just a harbor.

Please advise!! Thanks.

Cork
Level Contributor
145 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montpellier only good as base or nice in itself?? 3days..

The centre around La Comedie is quite nice. There are lots of nice restaurants, nice buildings and lively bars.

Lots of narrow shopping streets to explore

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montpellier only good as base or nice in itself?? 3days..

Montpellier is the most active city between Barcelona and Marseille.

Do some research and yo'll find 3 nights is not nearly enough

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Montpellier only good as base or nice in itself?? 3days..

The historic town centre (Ecusson)is a great place to visit,if you arrive by car,avoid entering the town centre as new tram lines are under construction,causing disruptions everywhere.

You can park on P+R at the edge of town (St Jean de Vedas) and visit the centre by public transport.€ 4,20 for all passengers in your car,full day parking inclusive.

Edited: 4:37 pm, August 02, 2011
Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montpellier only good as base or nice in itself?? 3days..

He won't have a car ?

montreal
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Montpellier only good as base or nice in itself?? 3days..

Although you will not find castles - at least none that I know of - you will love your stay in Montpellier, a very cultural and historical city that has a lot to offer. Must see: the area around the Comedie and the university (famous for it 13 th century faculty of medicine), the modern Antigone area by architect Bofill. I suggest you go the tourist office to get the most of your stay.

If you have time and want to spend a beautiful afternoon with lunch close to the sea, I suggest Sète, so easy to get to by train from Montpellier.

Sete, France
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montpellier only good as base or nice in itself?? 3days..

I am a Canadian living in Sète and would agree, it's a lovely fishing harbour just a 20 train ride outside of Montpellier. It is sometimes referred to as the Venice of France. telegraph.co.uk/travel/the-perfect-break/834… This is the link to a nice article.

Amsterdam
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Montpellier only good as base or nice in itself?? 3days..

Thank you all so much for your tips!

They are all very very usefull and exactly what i wanted to know. Also now so much more excited!! My boyfriend and I are flying in, so luckily no traffic issues there. And an afternoon in Sète sounds perfect :).

Thank you.

8. Re: Montpellier only good as base or nice in itself?? 3days..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, October 08, 2012