We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freshwater swimming

bristol, uk
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Freshwater swimming

Doe's anyone know of any mountain river or pools that you can swim in within a hours drive of Collioure?

Mentioned in this post
Collioure
Collioure
Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freshwater swimming

Beach at the lake of Villeneuve de la Raho, 8 km from Perpignan on the road to Argelès.

Beach at the lake of St Jean Pla de Corts, near Le Boulou : pictures here :

…over-blog.com/categorie-10067737.html

Beach at the lake of Vinça, near Prades

Mentioned in this post
Perpignan
Perpignan
bristol, uk
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freshwater swimming

That's great - thank you very much. I don't suppose you know of any rivers in the area where we could swim, do you?

Thank you!

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Freshwater swimming

Within an hour drive of Collioure you can go to Vingrau and get into the water (I won't use the word "swim") at the Gorges du Gouleyrous. The Tech river is dangerous (2 people drowned last week) and the "beach" has been closed. I would not swim in the two other main rivers either (Agly and Têt) because of pollution and in the case of the Têt, sudden and dangerous variations of level due to electricity generating stations along its course.

Rivers here are not always peaceful. The lake beaches indicated above are safe and there are life-guards.

Mentioned in this post
Collioure
Collioure
Devon, UK
Level Contributor
874 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Freshwater swimming

Don't know when you're planning to go, but even if this is too late for you it may help someone: there is river swimming in a deep pool, pus shallow pools where kids can paddle and catch fish, at the Gorges de Lavall. This is off the road between Argeles and Sorede. The road is tricky to find from Argeles, so I'd advise going on to the D914 and taking a turnoff from there. It's a rough, narrow road but there is a car park at the end, from where you can walk/scramble down to the river. It's a lovely spot to picnic or spend a few hours.

5. Re: Freshwater swimming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, May 29, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Freshwater swimming

Gorges de Lavall looks very good! Can anyone tell me the location on a map, so I can try to locate a town nearby to stay for one night on the way from Barcelona to Narbonne. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Narbonne
Narbonne
Aude, France
Devon, UK
Level Contributor
874 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Freshwater swimming

If you look at this map:

maplandia.com/france/…map

Zoom into the map, keeping both Argeles and St André on your screen. You need to be on the yellow D2 road (Route de la Sorède) between these two towns ("Map view" is clearest at this stage) Zoom in until you see a road called Route de la Pavé coming from St André and crossing the D2 southwards towards the mountains. This is the road you want, and it eventually becomes Route de Lavall.

Sorède might be a good place to stay as it's very close. Argeles is extremely busy, and we also found that area around Le Boulou was one big traffic jam but maybe that was just the day we tried to get past it. We were there in August which is the busiest time.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Freshwater swimming

Thank you so much for your answer. I now see the route de Lavall. Can you be even more specific and tell me how far down the road the mountain pools are situated. Can you drive there or is it a hike? I ask because we have to children with us. And thanks for the tip about Soréde.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
874 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Freshwater swimming

Right, back to the map, and switch to Satellite view. Follow the road until it is labelled Lavall, and you get to a part where the road forms a loop, and there are a few houses. I have a feeling we parked there and walked the rest, but I can see that there are cars parked nearer to the pools: continue on the road up the valley past the loop, and zoom in so you can see the river to the south of the road. Before the road bends round to the south, you'll see a long pool in the river, and above this are some parked cars. This big pool is deep enough for a proper swim, and a little further up there are smaller, shallower pools and flat rocks where you can sit in sun or in shade.

So you shouldn't have to walk far. We were with our family including grandchlldren( aged 4 and 7 at the time) and they had no trouble walking the extra bit and scrambling down to the river. A fishing net and bucket will help keep the kids happy.

10. Re: Freshwater swimming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Collioure