We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been to Best Western hotel in Carcassonne??

Which Carcassonne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone been to Best Western hotel in Carcassonne??

My fiancee and I have booked a suite in Best Western for Christamas and we'd love to find out more about that hotel.

California
Level Contributor
929 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone been to Best Western hotel in Carcassonne??

You must be referring to the Best Western les Donjon le Ramparts (sp?). If you click on the "Carcassonne Hotels" tab , (to the left of this screen) , you'll find this BW listed on the scroll-down list , complete with numerous reviews. I was in Carcassonne last year and noticed this hotel while walking around inside the walls of the old city. I found myself wishing I had stayed here instead of the dump I ended-up in (Hotel Montmorency). This BW is in a terrific location and directly across the walk from from the old inner fortress. From what I saw (and from the reviews of other travelers), you made a wise choice and will be pleasantly surprised with this hotel. Have a fun Christmas.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,856 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone been to Best Western hotel in Carcassonne??

Its a best western. It will be just like staying in a best western in ireland, but with a french accent.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone been to Best Western hotel in Carcassonne??

Dorothy -

I have never stayed there, though I would in a heartbeat, but I have had dinner in their lovely restaurant. Both the dinner and the service were very good, though not cheap. I think you will love it.

You might try La Dame Carcas for dinner one night assuming it is open. A bit touristy (Well, what do you expect inside the Cité?) but good food and a warm welcome. There is a pleasant bar/café pretty much next door to La D.C. but I don't recall the name.

Have a great trip - and a blessed Christmas!

Wiz -

The fact that it has "BW" tacked onto its name means nothing except that it is part of BW's world-wide reservation system. It is independently owned and not a chain hotel by any stretch of the imagination.

Rio del Mar...
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone been to Best Western hotel in Carcassonne??

Why on earth would anyone want to stay in a Best Western anywhere in France? Why would you even want to travel? Stay home. Or I suggest get into the place and stay in some nice, old, pleasant little B&B or gite and really enjoy the French way of life. This is, IMJ, as absurd as going to eat at the McDonald's or Burger King or whatever it is there in Carcasonne when you have so much more to enjoy that is truly French.

California
Level Contributor
929 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone been to Best Western hotel in Carcassonne??

Contrary to what was said by another poster (I can tell they were never there or they would have known that this BW is actually in a centuries-old building that maintains its quaint atmosphere but still affords a reasonable measure of modern convenience (including comfort and cleanliness) -- as we came to find at most BW's in Europe -- I make no apologies.

Rio del Mar...
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone been to Best Western hotel in Carcassonne??

I suspect you mean me, and in fact I have been to Carcassonne, but you are correct in that I have never stayed in a Best Western there, nor would I anywhere except maybe on my last night out of Paris near the airport. Old building or not, when I see another American business trying to establish another foothold in Old Europe it makes me sad and angry that we just can't leave it the way it is without shoving our fast-food and chain hotel values down their throats all in the name of the almighty dollar.

I'd stay in a French flea-bag anyday before I'd go to an American owned or operated institution there. It is way more interesting IMJ.

Paul Henri

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone been to Best Western hotel in Carcassonne??

Paul Henri -

Since you apparently did not read it I will repeat what I said in my post just before your original response:

"The fact that it has "BW" tacked onto its name means nothing except that it is part of BW's world-wide reservation system. It is INDEPENDENTLY OWNED [emphasis added] and not a chain hotel by any stretch of the imagination."

This statement is true of most (if not all) the hotels using the BW logo all over France.

Rio del Mar...
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone been to Best Western hotel in Carcassonne??

I apologize for anything I said that was offensive to anyone, and as an American who considers himself a "traveller" as opposed to a "tourist", when I go abroad, I like to get away from anything that sounds remotely American-old building or not, Croque McMadame or not, and it is easy for me to pass my own preferences onto others as judgments. I am not them and what they/you do is none of my business. I rest my case. Still I would look for something family owner and very French with a name I am unfamiliar with.

Paul Henri

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone been to Best Western hotel in Carcassonne??

>>> Still I would look for something family owner and very French with a name I am unfamiliar with. <<<

In which case in Carcassonne the Hôtel Le Donjon to give it its proper name should suit you to a T.

Rio del Mar...
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone been to Best Western hotel in Carcassonne??

Thanks, but I just googled the place and first thing I see is in huge letters-BEST WESTERN, so I'll pass.