We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cycling the canal du midi in may 2013

Alnwick, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cycling the canal du midi in may 2013

Me and my partner are planning to cycle from Carcassonne to Sete on the canal and wonder if we would be well advised to book chambre d'hote in advance or whether we could book as we go? Also plan to get the train back from Sete to Carcassonne is that feasible??

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cycling the canal du midi in may 2013

I don't know about booking B&Bs, but I'd at least have info on which ones are along your route, so you can call ahead.

Yes, you can take a train back to Carcassonne, but to get the best fares you should book now for May and be aware that not every train allows bikes (on the www.voyages-sncf.com site there is a bike icon that shows up for each train that allows them).

Alnwick, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cycling the canal du midi in may 2013

Thanks for that. We have a guide book with info about places to stay but are a bit resistant to booking accomodation in advance unless we have to as it's often difficult to say how far you want to cycle each day.

I'll check out the train booking though as you advise.

I had heard that it is often down to indiviual station staff as to whether they allow you on with your bikes??

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,592 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cycling the canal du midi in may 2013

If you go to the booking web site listed above, you can do a test booking. All trains that allow bikes will show a small bike symbol. On the local trains it is not necessary (or possible) to book and prices do not vary. On the TGV trains and Intercity trains you need to book in advance and you pay extra for the bicycle.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cycling the canal du midi in may 2013

I doubt that it's up to individual staff, though if non-French speakers show up with a bike and are told they can't get on the train with one, I suppose they might come away with that impression. It's clearly marked on the SNCF site which trains allow bikes, which ones have a cafe car, etc. There are trains that even have special cars just for bikes. You can have SNCF provide you with packaging, even. You may pay a supplement..

Everything you need to know: www.velosncf.com

Montpellier, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Montpellier
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cycling the canal du midi in may 2013

Languedoc bike guru Gerry is here : http://cyclinglanguedoc.com/

6. Re: cycling the canal du midi in may 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 27, 2014