We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest route from Carcassonne to Barcelona

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Easiest route from Carcassonne to Barcelona

Next summer me and some friends are having a holiday in Carcassonne then going down to Barcelona for a few days.

Please can anybody advise me on the best way of getting down there?

We cannot hire a car as it isn't possible to hire a car in one country and drop it off in another!

We just want to get a rough idea of costs for trains/ coach as we may re-think it if it costs a fortune!!!

Transport when we arrive in Barcelona isn't a problem as we are then getting a ferry over to the Balerics!

Thanks so much :)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,482 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest route from Carcassonne to Barcelona

The most civilised method would be to take the train from Carcassone to Narbonne and from there the direct train to Barcelona.

Problem is that there are only two direct trains a day from Narbonne to Barcelona leaving at 822am and 557pm which means either a rather early start from Carcassone or a late arrival(945pm) in Barca.

There are other local stopping trains in France and Spain but, with very few exceptions, these do not connect with each other at Port Bou on the border and I can tell you from experience that a 90 minute wait there is not much fun.

You can check train times and fares Carcassonne - Narbonne - Barcelona on www.voyages-sncf.com; but like in UK fares vary according to time and date, so you will need to confirm once you have a specific journey. |Good news that in Spain fares are really cheap and the that is reflected in the overall cost.)

I am having trouble with my internet connection at the moment so this reply is a bit short.

There may be buses/coaches and Eurolines is possibly your best bet for that option.

I think from previous questions I have seen in this forum that it is possible to fly Air France from Toulouse to Barcelona which would obviously be a lot quicker.

2. Re: Easiest route from Carcassonne to Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, September 15, 2009