We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking at carcassone la cite

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
parking at carcassone la cite

We will arrive by car from Arles on the E80.

When I get off at exit 24 for Carcassone, what is the closest parking lot to the old city and how do I get to it?

How far is the walk from the parking area to the old city and is it uphill?

Are there any other interesting places to see while en route from Arles to Carcassone?

Thank you

Bob Baillie

Cincinnati, Ohio

Mentioned in this post
Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking at carcassone la cite

There is parking right at the lower entrance to the old city, just outside the walls. It is well signposted. I was there in May, and had no trouble parking; I wouldn't like to say what it would be like in July or August.

From the car park you walk uphill through the streets to reach the centre, it is not far; and there are shops and cafes along the way if you need to pause.

north of england
Level Contributor
227 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking at carcassone la cite

Last time I visited this car park it was free in the evening, which I think is the best time to visit the cite, there is an old fashioned fair ground ride all lit up, the day trippers are leaving and the restaurants are open. Most shops are still open but maybe the museums are not, but a walk around the ramparts as the sun is setting makes up for this. Enjoy.

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: parking at carcassone la cite

Parking next to the City. Short walk of 100-200 yards to the entrance gate. Moderate uphill incline to the centre. Unless you have mobility problems it is an easy walk. You could actually drive into the city.

I was there last week (July 4th ) not especially busy.

Kildare, Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking at carcassone la cite

During the first week of July, we drove from Perpignan on the A61/E80, followed the signs for for 'Carcassonne La Cite'. Expect to drive a few miles before you come to 'La Cite', parking is well signposted. The main carpark has uniformed attendants directing traffic. It is downhill from the castle. I had to push a child's buggy up a short but steep path (less than 1 minute) there was a slightly longer pathway with a smaller incline. If anybody has serious mobility problems, I' m sure the attendant can direct you to a suitable stop, rather than parking at the lowest level. We arrived midweek at 12.00 and ended up parking at the lowest level. This level also had a pay machine without any queues.

5. Re: parking at carcassone la cite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, September 05, 2009