We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Combining Versailles with ? for a weekend getaway

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
443 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Combining Versailles with ? for a weekend getaway

Hi there,

From where I live in Belgium, Versailles is a 3,5-hour drive. I'd love to go for a day, but my boyfriend doesn't want to drive that distance for just one day so we're thinking about making a weekend out of it.

Is there anything worth visiting relatively close the grounds?

I know Paris is the obvious choice, but I've just been to Paris (Versailles wasn't an option then) so I'd like to do something else...

We'd be coming by car so transportation shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Combining Versailles with ? for a weekend getaway

Even if you leave Belgium early on a Saturday by the time you arrive at Versailles you'll be spending the rest of your day there and won't really have time to visit nearby sites unless you rush your visit of the château and grounds. So that really only leaves Sunday for other visits and you'll need to devote a good portion of Sunday to driving back to Belgium. I would overnight in Versailles after spending the day there on Saturday and then maybe find a nice town to visit on your Sunday drive back to Belgium.

Perhaps an easier alternative is to take the train to Paris and then the RER C to Versailles. Spend the night in Versailles or Paris and take the train back to Belgium on Sunday.

Edited: 10:04 am, March 25, 2013
Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
443 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Combining Versailles with ? for a weekend getaway

I don't need to visit anything else besides Versailles on Saturday. The idea was just to go sleep somewhere else. I just checked and the palace already closes at 5.30 pm, the gardens and park at 6pm. So we still have an entire evening to get to our hotel and have dinner.

It'll depend on what we'll be visiting on Sunday wether we'll be sleeping in Versailles or somewhere else.

We'll then spend our entire Sunday somewhere in between Versailles and home (but definitely in France) and then head back.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Combining Versailles with ? for a weekend getaway

If you enjoy horses you may want to attend to a spectacle de l'académie équestre Bartabas.

…fnacspectacles.com/place-spectacle/manifest…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Combining Versailles with ? for a weekend getaway

If you don't mind driving just under an hour from Versailles then I would suggest you could consider the town of Auvers-sur-Oise to spend the night, a charming town where Van Gogh spent the last few months of his life and which was also visited by many other Impressionist artists. It's north of Versailles so also gets you heading back in the direction of Belgium. Here's the tourist office website:

auvers-sur-oise.com/content/…content3506.html

auvers-sur-oise.com/heading/heading899.html

The next morning you wouldn't be far from the fantastic Château de Chantilly and the beautiful medieval town of Senlis:

chantilly-tourisme.com/_UK-otchantilly.php

www.senlis-tourisme.fr/accueil-senlis.php

If you want to see photos of Chantilly and Senlis I wrote a report about visiting these towns:

http://tinyurl.com/ch2odst

Edited: 11:23 am, March 28, 2013
Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
443 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Combining Versailles with ? for a weekend getaway

Thanks for the tip!

I was actually thinking of heading to Amiens.

Maybe spending the night in Versailles first isn't such a bad idea. We probably won't feel like a long drive in the evening.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Combining Versailles with ? for a weekend getaway

If you want to stay around Versailles there are much smaller, more semi-rural towns near it like Marly-le-Roi and Louveciennes that are full of history pertaining to LouiS XIV. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

But I agree going north means less driving at the end of the day on Sunday and Chantilly, Auvers or Senlis all make good suggestions, depending on what you are in the mood for.

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
443 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Combining Versailles with ? for a weekend getaway

Thanks for those tips!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Combining Versailles with ? for a weekend getaway

Here is the tourist office website for Marly-le-Roi and Louveciennes where you can learn what to see and do and find accommodation, restaurants etc.:

http://www.pays-des-impressionnistes.fr/

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
443 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Combining Versailles with ? for a weekend getaway

Super! I'll check that

10. Re: Combining Versailles with ? for a weekend getaway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 01, 2014