We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing admission tickets to Versailles

Which Versailles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Purchasing admission tickets to Versailles

Hi Everyone, I need help. I am trying to purchase admission tickets to Versailles - planning to go on June 21, but which option should I go with if I want to make sure that I have access to all the Palaces and the Garden? This 1-Day pass says: " This ticket allows you to make all the visits to the Château, the Châteaux de Trianon and the Estate of Marie-Antoinette and the temporary exhibitions. NB: this ticket does not include admission to the shows of the Grandes Eaux Musicales, the Musical Gardens or the evening performance of the Grandes Eaux"

Am I buying the right one? I wish to buy the GRANDES EAUX PASSPORT but it's only available on the June 19th and 23th so I can't take this one. My question is, when it says: "visits to the Château, the Châteaux de Trianon and the Estate of Marie-Antoinette and the temporary exhibitions", does it mean it includes all Palaces and Gardens???

Also, another mind boggling thing, I, in fact, called Versailles numerous times, the advisors spoke English but the details I got is still kind of skechy. For instance, I would like to join a (English) Guided Tour, the only thing available online http://en.chateauversailles.fr/homepage is

"Private Apartments of Louis XV and Louis XVI – Opera House or Royal Chapel / ENGLISH"

It says the ticket includes "Attention: the price of the ticket (16 euros) includes an access to the Palace's most famous places: the Hall of Mirrors, Grand Apartments of the King and of the Queen, King's Bedchamber and Mesdames' Apartments (weekends only). Consequently, do not to take a Palace ticket" - What does do not to take a Palace ticket mean???

When I spoke to the advisor, she said this will cost you $16 Euro but she then mentioned it's $7E if you have the 1-Day Pass or something - on the phone it's difficult. Also, to select the date for the tour online, it only provides the date and the time 9:30am next to the date? Are there any other time slots????? Only one time slot at 9:30am???? I just want to make the most of it.

Can someone explain what does the Chateau mean in this case? If I have access to all the Palaces? The Palace ticket says: The Galerie des Glaces, State Apartments of the King and Queen, King’s Bedchamber" How is this different from the 'Chateau'?

Thanks a million everyone....

Blacksburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing admission tickets to Versailles

Kenneth, I saw that you had no replies and I have similar questions as you. Hopefully you have visited Versailles by now and we go Sept. 21-24 so can you tell me what you found out on your trip? We need help to do this visit on our own and want to see everything we can with the least wait - in only 1 day.

London
Level Contributor
42 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing admission tickets to Versailles

I went to Versailles last week. I understand the musical spectacles only happen on specific days so it may jsut be that there is nothing happening on the day you want to go. As we walked though the gardens there was pipped music and some of the fountains were on but the "spectacle" itself wasn't until later in the day.

We took the passport ticket which gave us access to the palace, the Grand and Petit Trianons and all the garden areas. You get an audio guide when you enter the palace so there is plenty of information available as you walk around. We bought our tickets at the Versailles tourist office on the approach to the palace. Slightly more expensive than at the palace itself but the queue was shorter. You can of course also by in advance online or from FNAC shops.

The distances are quite big but you can rent golf buggies to drive around (we didn't do this so I have no details about how much / where you can organise this) and there are also little tourist buses. I think it wass about 3€ from the palace through the gardens to the Petit Trianon.

When we arrived (about 11am) the queue to enter the palace was huge so we went to the gardens and then the Petit Trianon. When we came back to the palace later there was no queue to enter so you might consider doing your visit this way round.

3. Re: Purchasing admission tickets to Versailles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, December 15, 2013