We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Caen

Emsworth, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Train from Caen

Hi Everyone

I have heard that you can reach Versailles by train from Caen, does anyone have experience of this? I'm travelling this Sept.

It would be very useful for me as where I live there is a high speed ferry to Caen so I'd rather take this route than fly or use the Eurostar.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Special Offer
Versailles and Giverny Day Trip
1,469 Reviews
from $214.60*
$238.40
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Palace of Versailles Tour...
Versailles Guided Tour and Priority...
128 Reviews
from $145.00*
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Caen

There are no direct trains from Caen to Versailles. However, the trip can be made with one fairly simple transfer at Gare St. Lazare in Paris. Trains from Caen arrive there and trains on the commuter line to Versailles Rive Droite leave from the same station. The trip will take between 2.5 (I'm guessing and that may be a bit optimistic...) and 3.5 hours depending on the connection time at St. Lazare.

Note that there are three stations in Versailles each reached by a different train and different stations from Paris but the three stations are fairly close together.

Mentioned in this post
Caen
Caen
Calvados, France
Versailles
Versailles
Yvelines, France
Gare St. Lazare
Gare St. Lazare
282 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Lazare
Lazare
1,387 Reviews
Paris, France
Emsworth, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Caen

Thanks so much IrishRovr, I've found details on RailEurope website so going to book tickets now :-)

3. Re: Train from Caen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, January 08, 2011