We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strolling and shoping in Paris

US
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Strolling and shoping in Paris

Me and my husband will be visiting paris in early december. Are their any nice strolling places that should not be missed apart from the very obvious like champs elysees. I would also like to know of any shoping places, especially with interesting food joints (food budget $15 max pp)

This is our first trip to paris and we will be staying in La Defense area.

Thanks,

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strolling and shoping in Paris

I hate to bring this up, but do you seriously expect to dine anywhere in Paris for $15 USD pp, 11.72 euros pp at the current exchange rate? Paris is filled with interesting "food joints", most of which are called restaurants or bistros. You should be able to fine a number if nice restaurants with inexpensive fixed price menus for lunch, but I doubt if you'll find anything besides something in the Latin Quarter where you can eat for what your stated budget is. It might get you a few slices of pizza, or something similar, but not a decent meal. I think you may want to rethink you food budget before leaving for Paris.

US
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Strolling and shoping in Paris

I want suggestions on intesting strolles, not necessarily restaurants.

Yes, $15 is less, but it was enough for Amsterdam, when we visited last year. We found a lot of interesting cafes and shop with affordable eating joints, plus we had a lot of picnics (spell supermarket shopping and takeouts). I don't expect to have 3 course meals and wine every meal, but something unique, like pastries and hot chocolate with a nice view atop a shopping mall... besides spending a little more is also ok.

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strolling and shoping in Paris

Avenue Montaigne, Fauborg St. Honore, and Rue de Rivoli for fine shops

Rue d'Paradis for china, crystal, and silverware

Florida
Level Contributor
17,124 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strolling and shoping in Paris

Watch for Asian "traiteurs", which are kind of like cafeteria or deli style. Small places with pans of delicious foods lined up in a glass case. There will be a choice of 'menus' for 5-9E, or you can just point at different things which will be weighed for the price. You can eat well for your budget. If the food looks fresh and the place looks clean, I'd give it a try.If you see a line at any crepe stand, get in it and buy something! Make sure each crepe is freshly cooked, not from a stack of precooked crepes. Filled crepes run from maybe 1.5E to 5E...Boulangeries will have sandwiches but also little quiches, pizza-type things etc. which they will be happy to warm for you. Get one of those plus a fantastic desserty thing and have a park bench picnic.An interesting dining experience is to go to Flunch (I may be flogged for this) near Les Halles. It is a cafeteria-like place - you get a tray and select dishes which you fill with salad bar, and/or go to the counter and request any of the hot dishes (roast chicken and frites, for instance). I believe it had a soda dispenser with ice, or you can get little wine or beers from the cooler. A full tray should come in under your budget. You take it to the cashier, pay, then go find a table. No, it isn't 'Michelin', but it's tasty, filling, and very inexpensive (better than a Quick burger).

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strolling and shoping in Paris

I've been looking at Rue Montorgueil--a pedestrian street that sounds good--market, lots of boulangeries and other food shops etcs. Haven't been there but pictures look attractive. Several years ago we stayed at La Motte Piquet metro stop at Rue du Commerce which had lots of food shops as well as other types of shops--not a high class area but lots of good take out food reasonable. A crepe window in a cafe that sold delicious crepes and grilled cheese at corner of Bld Grenelle and Blv La Motte Piquet--we got hooked after the first try. Here is a web site for Paris markets (which can also be good places to walk): www.paris.fr/EN/Living/markets/markets.ASP. The area around the Madeleine is very interesting walk with the church, other old buildings and the gourmet food shops, etc.

USA
Level Contributor
28,171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strolling and shoping in Paris

For shopping, you can try the area up around the HARVE CAUMARTIN Metro stop--with two of Paris' 'grand magazines'--Galerie Lafayette and Printemp (both offer free fashion shows and have pleasant restaurants for light lunches) right next to each other. Another good/interesting shopping area is up in the 3rd--Maris, along (and around the side streets) of the rues des Francs Borgeois. A third good/interesting shopping area worth strolling is down in the 6th--Saint Germain des Pres, along (and around the side streets) the rue du Bac from the Seine all the way down to another Paris 'grand magazine', LE BON MARCHE.

There may be 10 Euro meals available in Paris but my guess is that they involve standing at the curb nxt to the cart or some of the lesser greek-joints the rue de l'Huchette & rue de l'Harpe in the 5th--Lating Quarter.

The Champs Elysees is probably fine for strolling in December, when it is decorated for Christmas. One stroll that you should take thought is down on the Left Bank quais along the Seine, beginning at Pont de Sully and continuing under the bridgesacross the Seine, past Notre Dame to the Pont des Arts across the Seine between the Institut de France and Louvre.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strolling and shoping in Paris

I may be wrong, or just crazy, but why would anyone go to Paris for a bag lunch? It's one thing to be on a budget and not eat out every day, but part of being in Paris is to experience the cuisine and in order to experience the cuisine, one has to visit one or two decent restaurants. There are a number of great restaurants in Paris where you can dine on exquisite food at a very reasonable price and go home with a favorable memory. If all you are looking for is cheap eats; street vendors or Asian "traiteurs", then you might as well stay home.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strolling and shoping in Paris

I agree your meal budget is low. Try a take away falafel roll from L'as au falafel in rue des Rosiers near the corner of rue Vieille du Temple in the Marais (4th arrondisement) - I am serious, they are a great meal. There are other nice places to eat in the area that are not too expensive but more than your budget. Save on lunch by buying cheese and a baguette and spend a bit more for dinner.

Walk around the Marais streets if you want to see great little boutiques. Try my favourite rue du Pont Louis Philippe and surrounding area.

US
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Strolling and shoping in Paris

Thank you all for these interesting suggestions. From all the posts, I think I will be defiantly visiting Maris. The stroll along pont de sully by KDKSAIL seems infesting and I would be visiting the crepes/grilled cheese place that Somerset described.

For future posts can you PLS mention a close monument or metro stop with e#. Since I am new to Paris I have to log all this info into various maps and see if I get a hit.

Robert2533 thank you for your concern, but if I have to wait until I have the money to spend on fine dining, I would be 100 before I step one foot out of good-old OHIO. I enjoy traveling (a lot, since in the short span of my life I have touched 4 continents) and I like to have the experience of the regular people which many times comes from small places , strolls and food joints. Besides any money saved is more places to go and travel next time.

Kensington, MD...
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Strolling and shoping in Paris

I'll second the recommendation for Flunch. We sometimes eat at the one in the basement of Castorama at Place de Clichy. Cafeteria-style, but it's packed with local lunchers, so that's always a good sign!